Author Topic: Some Fantasy Standards  (Read 12045 times)

Offline seekmore

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Some Fantasy Standards
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2009, 09:03:43 PM »
He can't do ANYTHING, there are still limits regarding expended energy.
Listening to the book makes it harder, but I am still fairly certain that you contradicted yourself.  Either there are 2 languages, and in which case Eragon did his ballad in the elvish one, or there is just the one language that elves speak which is the ancient language and it can be used to create fiction.

No, it's made clear that Eragon wrote his ballad in the Ancient Language. Oromis says he should not have been able to do so, and Eragon says he was because he believes it to be true with all his heart(or some such).

The Elves didn't come up with the Ancient Language, some other race did. The Grey Ones, or something.

I still say there's the intent to deceive which it blocks you from acting on, not necessarily telling untruths.

But we are given no explanation for it.

And Oromis wouldn't have taught Brom the secrets if Brom didn't finish the training (Which Brom didn't) because Oromis says they only taught the unspoken spell thing to students who had mastered every bit of magic.  Which Brom hadn't.

Why didn't Brom finish training? There's no reason for him not to have. He and Morzan trained together.

Morzan apparently did, or was he an untrained apprentice-type dragonrider who somehow managed to kill a bunch of other fully-trained Dragonriders?

Another thing that bothers me:

We are told that casting magic without the Ancient language is incredibly dangerous and that the Elves are taught not to do so unless it is absolutely necessary.

Yet the Queen non-verbally magicks up some flowers when Eragon meets her. And Vanil uses magic non-verbally in ever one of his duels with Eragon.

And another thing: Eragon's swordsmanship. In less than a year Eragon has gone from being a farmboy to being able to best a warrior with literally over a thousand years more practice than he.
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant  Robert McCloskey

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did but people will never forget how you made them feel  Maya Angelou

Offline Aludra

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2009, 09:19:02 PM »
I'm not discussing this any further in this thread because I was only arguing about the magic thing. If you want to start an Inheritance hate thread, feel free, but I don't think this is the right thread for it.

Regardless, the magic part is defined even if some of the other details are less clear to you.
I knew him when he was just an IBM
John Scalzi, Android's Dream

DV Aludra v1.2 YR2 FR1.5 BK+ RP JB TH(!TH) ?WG ?CL SW+ BC- MC---- SH[Murphy-, Molly--, Lara+]

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2009, 09:24:24 PM »
Have you read a good fantasy series where magic works where there were no rules?

Series, no. Novels ? Lots.

Magic that works symbolically in the magic-realism direction is not rational. (See Desolation Road.)

Magic that is enigmatic and Otherworldy is not rational. (See Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, among many others, which has this alongside rational magic.)
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2009, 09:28:19 PM »
The only series I've read where there wasn;t a fairly clearly defined system of magic was the Inheritance Cycle.....and that is hardly an example of good fantasy.

Ding a magic system badly is not the same as doing non-systemic magic well.  A magic system is not the only way to make magic work.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline seekmore

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2009, 10:26:18 PM »
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant  Robert McCloskey

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did but people will never forget how you made them feel  Maya Angelou

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2009, 10:45:25 PM »
Have you read a good fantasy series where magic works where there were no rules?

The only series I've read where there wasn;t a fairly clearly defined system of magic was the Inheritance Cycle.....and that is hardly an example of good fantasy.

It might sound like semantics but I there're two different things being discussed right here. I think almost every book I've read has ascribed some kind of set rules to magic. There are always postulates to define the nature of magic, if nothing else.

The Wizard of Earthsea is one example that comes to mind. I think it's an excellent series myself. Le Guin establishes the fact that everything has a "true name" and that can be changed or manipulated through the power of this true name. She also tells the reader that it's a bad idea to do so unnecessarily. However I would argue that she doesn't use a rigid "system."

Lord of The Rings--maybe you've heard of it?--is a fairly popular series that's enjoyed some moderate success and influence. It really doesn't use any kind of system that I can define.

I liked the Elric series too. It's been awhile but I can't recall Moorcock setting any kind of intricate system or rules set for his magic.

When i heard the term "magic system" I think of something like the Mistborn series where the rules of allomancy are very rigid, with a set number of effects possible for any user of the craft.

Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

Offline seekmore

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2009, 07:40:03 AM »
Regardless, the magic part is defined even if some of the other details are less clear to you.

I don't know how far you are Aludra, so I'm going to spoiler all of what I am about to say, as it contains information from Brisingr.

(click to show/hide)

Which is true? The facts we are given on the matter go one way, but the two situations directly contradict one another.

Another problem is power levels:

Again in Brisingr,
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 07:52:38 AM by seekmore »

Offline Aludra

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2009, 01:59:29 PM »
Not read Bsringer yet, so thaks for the spoiler tags.  Sorry I can't carry the conversation further, but I stand by my point that there are limits to the magic used in the Inheritance cycle.

If there weren't limits, Eragon wouldn't have cursed the child, and would have blessed her like he had intended.

DV Aludra v1.2 YR2 FR1.5 BK+ RP JB TH(!TH) ?WG ?CL SW+ BC- MC---- SH[Murphy-, Molly--, Lara+]

Offline Sebastian

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2009, 02:15:47 PM »
Generally speaking, limitations on spellcasters is a good idea. Either in the sense that they need supplies, knows a limited number of fixed spells, can output a limited amount of energy or is likely to draw unfavourable attention from the opposition or similar.

If your charachters are limited, they can be challenged which tends to be good for the story. At least if you're aiming for tension, suspense and the like.
If your target is humor, simple unintended consequences will often do the trick and limitations are less necessary.
"I'm sorry, I'd like to help but I'm currently doing something very important. However, I could finish today and as soon as I'm done I'll do everything in my power to help you"
- How to promise help you have no intention of giving.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2009, 02:24:40 PM »
Lord of The Rings--maybe you've heard of it?--is a fairly popular series that's enjoyed some moderate success and influence. It really doesn't use any kind of system that I can define.

Lord of the Rings "magic" is essentially divine intervention, though.

Offline Aludra

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2009, 02:30:12 PM »
If your target is humor, simple unintended consequences will often do the trick and limitations are less necessary.
Ebenezum.  :)

And the wizards in the Drizzt books.

Love those crazy spellcasters

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2009, 08:03:57 PM »
Ebenezum.  :)

And the wizards in the Drizzt books.

Love those crazy spellcasters

D and D's magic system is highly catalouged and rule based. ;)
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight

Offline Gruud

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2009, 09:07:08 PM »
And WotC will sue your pants off if you get even close to using it, I bet.

Offline seekmore

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2009, 09:49:45 PM »
And WotC will sue your pants off if you get even close to using it, I bet.

Nah, just pitch it to them as a novel. They do publish books.

Offline Sebastian

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2009, 08:09:26 AM »
Lord of the Rings "magic" is essentially divine intervention, though.

I have only a vague feeling for what the Japanese concept of "Kami" means, but when I read a short description it seemed very familiar to Lord of the Rings
"I'm sorry, I'd like to help but I'm currently doing something very important. However, I could finish today and as soon as I'm done I'll do everything in my power to help you"
- How to promise help you have no intention of giving.