Author Topic: DFRPG Fate Dice?  (Read 7417 times)

Offline The GIT!

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: DFRPG Fate Dice?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 01:31:55 AM »
Expensive as all get-out, though, no?

I seem to recall feeling like their dice were very, very pretty -- but felt a little light and small in the hand compared to what I'm used to with Fudge Dice.

Well they're certainly not cheap - 2.50 Eur (which at present exchange rates equates to $3.70 US). As for being light and small compared to other Fudge dice, I'd have to disagree. They're the same dimensions and feel the same weight; although I haven't actually weighed them on a set of scales ;)

What I will say though, is "they's shur look purdy".
Anything easy is more trouble than it's worth!

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 01:44:07 AM »
Well they're certainly not cheap - 2.50 Eur (which at present exchange rates equates to $3.70 US). As for being light and small compared to other Fudge dice, I'd have to disagree. They're the same dimensions and feel the same weight; although I haven't actually weighed them on a set of scales ;)

What I will say though, is "they's shur look purdy".

Maybe they've improved since I last had an opportunity to see some they produced. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline elberon

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 09:29:14 PM »
Well,

I've done some asking around some UK manufacturers and the price comes in around this ball park:
100 x 18mm custom dice with 4 special faces and 2 blank faces - 1.20 GBP per dice
100 x 22mm custom dice with 4 special faces and 2 blank faces - 1.52 GBP per dice
Royal Mail 1st Class will be a maximum of 4.25 GBP for the 22mm dice
Then VAT at 15%
Lead time at the moment is approx 3 weeks

So about £175 for a hundred (25 sets of fudge dice at 4 dice to a set) which is a bit steep but for me that's only really enough for 4 sets (based on 1 for the gm and 5 players), I'm sure we can get more.  Also they have cited what I asked for (+ & -) so having arcane symbol and skull may not be any more expensive.
If there were say 50 gms buying dice for their game say 5 sets on average that might make an interesting reduction to the cost though shipping round the world may make this idea null and void anyway.

But say if the following is met
People are prepared to pay up front but wait til  5 weeks before Origins for the order to go in (so order can be put in and shipped out so you have the dice in time for playing and hopefully more people can hear of it and add in orders to get the cost down more)
Choice is made on what the symbols would be (I think skull and star would be ok)
People are prepared to hand over say $15.00 per set to cover postage to cover purchase and shipping (with a return of any excess), I'm guessing the cost would come down a bit if we can up the order
then I'm happy to do the organising ;-)

Chris

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
  • White Knight of Chicago
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2009, 03:01:30 PM »
I found a place where I could get dice with a pentagram on two sides, skull on two sides, blank on the other two -- if I order 100 I can get them for less than $2.50 per die. (Not sure how this translates into UK money.)
Marv / Finarvyn
Greater Warden of Chicago
Dresden Files RPG Playtester
I support Colonial Gothic and Thousand Suns
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2009, 04:57:29 PM »
I found a place where I could get dice with a pentagram on two sides, skull on two sides, blank on the other two -- if I order 100 I can get them for less than $2.50 per die. (Not sure how this translates into UK money.)

Yeah, I think folks getting the dice at cost will definitely win out here. If I wanted to make a 4-die set costing $2.50 profitable, in a way that could be sold through retail without me losing money, that $10 it could cost to make a 4-die set would require a pricetag of around $20-25.  For *four dice*.  (Publishers tend to see around 40% of the sale price of something. 40% of $25 is $10.)

So if folks want to do a fan-driven effort to produce some special Dresden Dice, I'm all for it -- it's the best cost solution for both the fans (the dice are more reasonable) and for us (because we aren't devoting any financial resources that would be better spent on the book itself).
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Valarian

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2009, 06:26:05 PM »
Call me a cheapskate, but I still like the die blanks and permanent marker solution. :D
More money left over to spend on books ;D
Google Groups for FGII Games:
European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2009, 07:48:43 PM »
Call me a cheapskate, but I still like the die blanks and permanent marker solution. :D
More money left over to spend on books ;D

You don't even need to do that. I've played around with FATE using 4d6 and reading 1 and 2 as minus, 3 and 4 as blank, and 5 and 6 as plus. It takes like five minutes before you're used to it, then it plays almost as fast as normal Fudge dice.