Author Topic: Balance  (Read 2915 times)

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
Balance
« on: July 14, 2009, 11:39:01 PM »
Anyone have suggestions on how to figure out any kind of schedule to get some kind of balance between reality and writing?  It's not too much of a problem now in the summer; I get a half day off on Fridays, and there's not much on tv now.  But during the fall/winter, I seem to get nothing done.  And I can't really get rid of anything.  I basically go to work, come home and exercise, by the time I'm done with that, dinner's ready, then I have to shower, and by that time, it's usually about 8.  Which during the fall/winter is when I start to spend time with my b/f, and we watch tv to unwind for bed.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Re: Balance
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 12:22:39 AM »
I've several people tell me that they wake up very early and write daily.  I've others say that they refuse to go to bed until they've written something--anything.  I understand how frustrating it is for you and I wish someone had told me some magic option, but so far no wise soul has shared it.  You aren't alone and I hope that you get some really good suggestions that work!

What follows might frighten you.  I should probably put horror spoilers over it...

I was a single Mom and I simply couldn't write for years.  :-(  But I was ONE HELL OF A MOM!  Before that I balanced work, kids, and spouse--again I had no time for writing.  (Again I was a great Mom, but admittedly a rather bit*** wife.)  Even when I was a full time Mom at home it was impossible for me to write.  No, I didn't write, but nothing can lock up your creativity.  Instead I planned out the most elaborate plots and characters and then in a strange form of short hand and really strange outline, i would literally scratch them out for sometime when life allowed me freedom.  Luckily, as I kept working in my mind, if not writing in truth---technology was blossoming into marvelous wonderful writing tools, which cut down so much on the time involved. 

Now that being said, I DO KNOW OF WOMEN WHO WRITE with families, with work, and with spouses and significant others.   Ready for some more horror spoilers?

About a month ago, I was at a writer's workshop at Univ of IA.  It's rather well known nationally and internationally.  Yeah, I know and I was there?  The instructor, who is a literary/screenplay author and an phenomenal teacher.  He opened up a topic for discussion, "Are you finding time to write?"  We must have all been single, because no one had a single question.  I'm sorry, as I'm sure he would have had some wonderful ideas.  In fact, I'll get his name and website, maybe you can tell him Meg from IA thought he might be able to help you.  :-)

His general point though was, "Do the people in your life understand the creative process?  If they don't, you need to help them understand, while understanding that if they can't--then you probably have a hard choice to make."  I don't know how you help them understand or to respect your time to write by taking on additional responsibilities, respecting your time to be alone to think or to write without interruption.   Since no one had questions, the discussion stopped there.

One other thing that might help.  Pay for a really good online writing class.  One that you pay enough to make it hurt, so it has to be a priority for you and your boyfriend.  The class should require writing so many pages/words each week to post to others for critiquing--so you have to find the time.  Same class needs to help you take short cuts--so you are learning as your write.  Make the initial discussion about finding time to write right off the bat and let them give you ideas.  Try mediabistro.com as an example, but check out the instructor to make sure you're going to learn something to make it worth the cost and check out their web sites.  A reference could mean publishing or getting an agent!  Mediabistro does require posting about a 1000 words before being accepted.  Don't let it scare you; you'll be fine.

Hopefully, you won't have to wait until your future kids graduate college to write seriously.  But to do so is going to take priority for it in your time and in your relationship and probably your budget-- maybe less hours working in exchange for a few more hours to write?  All very difficult choices. 

Write whenever the TV is on.  You'll know you're writing good stuff when two or three shows roll by and you don't remember them.  Thank goodness for Tivo.

HUGS           HUGS           HUGS               HUGS                 HUGS            HUGS           HUGS  ETC ETC

« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 12:29:36 AM by meg_evonne »
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 12:27:01 AM »
I'll agree that it's difficult. Right now I'm depressingly single...but I lived with a girl for 4 years and still made time to write.

Of course I needed to spend time with her and be a good boyfriend but I made myself wake up early in the morning (5:00 or 5:30) so I could write before work. (Trust me, I'm NOT a morning person, but I had to be.) I also got used to writing on Saturday and Sunday afternoons.

I almost hate to say it, but if you're serious about becoming a good writer you're going to have to make sacrifices. Often that means telling people "no" or skipping out on things that are a lot more fun. Maybe you can tell your boyfriend you need some "me" time from 8-9 or 9:30 a few nights a week. Try to spend every other Saturday afternoon writing. Maybe forego dollar pint night. Skip a few hours of TV a week. Those are just a few suggestions.

I think all of us here have busy lives. I found that I struggled when I tried finding time to write. So I had to make time to write. Eh, that's my $.02. Good luck!

EDIT: Meg posted while I was writing my reply, but yes everything she said is gold.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 12:30:56 AM by belial.1980 »
Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 12:31:03 AM »
Was the breakup related in part to your need to write, Beliel?
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 01:23:15 AM »
My b/f has absolutely no problems, and he's constantly telling me to write.  He's also made the suggestion of waking up early, but that's pretty much not going to happen.  I currently wake up at 6:30 to work at 7:30--summer hours so I have half a day on Fridays.  Regularly, I wake up at 7:30.  Biggest reason I won't wake earlier is because I'm very much a night person and have a hell of a time getting to sleep.  But if I start writing when I can't sleep, I'll be up all night and get no sleep.  One of the good things living with my b/f and his mom is that it means no worrying about grocery shopping or cooking dinner.  His mom does that.  For the most part, I actually do ignore the tv when it's on, it's just more difficult when the season's new instead of reruns. 

Currently, I'm doin okay, I've been writing at lunch and in the evenings, and weekend nights after my b/f's gone to sleep.  That's pretty much why I know fall/winter will be more problematic.  We do have a DVR, but because it's HD, we can't keep stuff on there too long before it fills up, and I'm horrible with doing stuff.

Course, right now I'm typing up what I have written the past week or so.  I want to see how many words it ended up being.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline RobJN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Storybook Factory
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 02:01:13 AM »
We have a TV in the house, and it is usually only used to play video games, DVDs, or the occasional Spurs game. The missus and I both don't watch TV, except at work. The time most people spend watching TV, we use to write -- our work schedules don't quite match up, so she usually writes a bit in the morning before she takes me to work, and I write between the time I get home and she gets up to get ready for work. When we have days off together (when we're not prowling the bookstores), we'll sit in the same room, she on her computer in one corner of the office, me on mine in the other, and we might not say more than a few words over the course of the day. But clackity-clack go the keyboards.

It's nice being married to a fellow writer (but then, that's sort of how we met in the first place, being writers).

One of the bits of advice I've heard is to pick a time to write, and then stick to it. It's hard, staring at the blank screen, for an hour, or hour and a half, but stare at it enough times in a row, and the brain will get the message. I find more often than not, once I get home from work, something winds up on the ol' word processor after I sit down at my computer. Sometimes, it's even good!  :D

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »
Anyone have suggestions on how to figure out any kind of schedule to get some kind of balance between reality and writing?  It's not too much of a problem now in the summer; I get a half day off on Fridays, and there's not much on tv now.  But during the fall/winter, I seem to get nothing done.  And I can't really get rid of anything.  I basically go to work, come home and exercise, by the time I'm done with that, dinner's ready, then I have to shower, and by that time, it's usually about 8.  Which during the fall/winter is when I start to spend time with my b/f, and we watch tv to unwind for bed.

What works for me is one night a week is writing night, I come home from work, eat, and write until time to fall asleep. I can usually get a couple of thousand words out, and that has happened most weeks (I try to catch up in advance if I am going to have visitors) for the last thirteen years.

What matters is getting the words down.  Doing it every day works for some people - would not for me, but if you want to write a novel a year, whether that's 2,000 words a week or a few hundred words a day (or, like Iain Banks, a novel written in three or four concentrated weeks and the rest of the year playing Civ) seems irrelevant.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 03:54:29 PM by neurovore »
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 04:19:57 PM »
When we have days off together (when we're not prowling the bookstores), we'll sit in the same room, she on her computer in one corner of the office, me on mine in the other, and we might not say more than a few words over the course of the day. But clackity-clack go the keyboards.
I guess there is always instant messenger!  LOL

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 06:04:47 PM »
Was the breakup related in part to your need to write, Beliel?

As much as I'd like to say, "I suffered for my art" LOL; no that was never an issue.
Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

Offline RobJN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Storybook Factory
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 02:40:28 PM »
I guess there is always instant messenger!  LOL

We did that for two years before we actually met, so thankfully it's been burned out of our systems ;) Nowadays, she just throws crumpled up rough drafts at me when she wants to get my attention....

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 11:32:49 PM »
Rob--What actual paper?  Wow! Lol

Offline RobJN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Storybook Factory
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 12:00:17 AM »
It hurts a lot less than when she throws the computer at me.