Author Topic: Writing quirks  (Read 4164 times)

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
Writing quirks
« on: July 16, 2009, 01:13:23 AM »
Anyone got 'em?  Like anything you have to do, or specific place to write, or whatnot?

My biggest one is that I have to write by hand on paper.  And then type it up.  I've been told that what I write on the computer is more stilted than otherwise.  Or rather, my b/f pointed out one passage, compared to another that was much more organic and flowing, and that was the biggest difference.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Re: Writing quirks
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 01:59:11 AM »
none that I know of...  unless it's visiting JB before getting busy writing.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 03:40:14 PM »
I write on a laptop in bed, I susually have music for writing new sections though not for revising... I always set things to yellow text on dark blue background, but that's not a personality quirk, that's because I have weird eyesight... not sure of anything else that would count.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 04:11:47 PM »
I write on a tilting  laptop desk that I pull up to my bed.  I prefer uninterrupted silence to write -- no music unless it's VERY quiet and instrumental, no TV playing in the background.  Sometimes I play a couple games of solitaire if I'm agitated or stressed; it helps me relax and get in the "zone".
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline RobJN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Storybook Factory
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 02:33:03 PM »
On days off, I make coffee before trudging to the old office. As the coffee maker gurgles away, I go over what i'd written on my previous stint at the keyboard. Once the coffee maker sighs its last, I fix myself a cup, and get to work on the next section with the fresh cup of coffee.

In most cases, I like to have background music running on iTunes, to help promote the ol' Delta wave-state. So I pick the tune on the playlist closest to the mood of the section I'm writing, and loop it.

In creative writing while I was in college, I had one piece that was written to a mix of U2 and the Cranberries. Normally, though, I can't work with English lyrics in the background, so I listen to either instrumental, trance, or foreign stuff.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 02:51:06 PM »
I do similar with music.  Though I have a tendency to make playlists to fit certain moods, and put multiple tracks in there.  Looped music would be one of the things that would distract me, and I would end up focusing more on that than the writing.

Don't know if this one falls under a quirk, or just writing style type thingie, but I generally get a character or scene, and write from that for about 15-30 pages, then I have to stop and do the actual world building and fleshing out of everything before I can continue.  I also have a tendency to write some, go back and rewrite and writer further, and repeat that.  Though currently I'm attempting to write the whole way through before going back.  And I have to write linearly.  My mind can't wrap around something like writing the full scenes in my head and going back for the rest.  It's like building a person with the major organs first, then going back and putting in the connective tissue and muscles and skin and all.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 06:38:08 PM »
I do the music heart and soul type instrumental.  I think it's time that I got a good quirk going.  I mean, what's the good of saying you write if you are eccentric or something...
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline BobForPresident

• Posty McPostington
  • Everything lasts forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 07:03:07 PM »
According to Dave Gross (an author for Forgotten Realms), I have a tendency to be "purple", but since then I think I've gotten that under control.

My current problem is I go to the eyes for emotion too much ("her eyes narrowed", "his eyes widened in shock", "her eyes went blank", blah, blah, blah).
"Do you not see how necessary a world of pains and troubles is to school an intelligence and make it a soul?" - Keats

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 07:14:17 PM »
I mostly listen to music that I either know every note of, or that's in a language I do not speak, so it does not mess with the word parts of my brain. (Yay German industrial bands.)

I do also have a tape of dance remixes of the theme from Titanic which my stalker bought me as a birthday present, which I keep to play while I am writing charactes in situations that are a specific shape of very uncomfortable. This works.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 07:15:01 PM »
According to Dave Gross (an author for Forgotten Realms), I have a tendency to be "purple", but since then I think I've gotten that under control.

Steve Brust said I was cute once, but I do not think he was talking about my writing.

Offline BobForPresident

• Posty McPostington
  • Everything lasts forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 08:57:33 PM »
I mostly listen to music that I either know every note of, or that's in a language I do not speak, so it does not mess with the word parts of my brain. (Yay German industrial bands.)

I do also have a tape of dance remixes of the theme from Titanic which my stalker bought me as a birthday present, which I keep to play while I am writing charactes in situations that are a specific shape of very uncomfortable. This works.

Yeah, the chanting monks cd works that way for me.  ;D
"Do you not see how necessary a world of pains and troubles is to school an intelligence and make it a soul?" - Keats

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 09:33:30 PM »

I have to do this, too, with the word thing.  I use some heavy metal references, but I can't actually listen to the music cause I start listening to the music.  I think my new favorite to listen to for the squicky sort of uncomfortable is the Joker strings from Dark Knight.  It almost hurts to listen to.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 11:59:06 PM »
Okay, yeah...I apparently do have one.  I can't write unless I'm barefoot.  How's that for freaking quirky?  I didn't know it until at a writer's workshop, everytime we did individual exercises--my shoes would go.  Only barefoot one in the room.  Ah well.  I'm more comfortable that way!  :-)

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 12:47:56 AM »

I have to listen to music that sets the mood. I'll often make playlists but sometimes I'll come to a scene and loop only one or two songs that just feel right. For example, right now I'm finishing up a scene where a character breaks out of the asylum then proceeds to butcher his entire family. I keep listening to "Nightmare" by Halifax (sort of pop/punk/emo song...pretty sure it's about a relationship breaking up, but not certain) and the oldie "Stand By Me" by Ben E. King.

A bit odd, I know. But it keeps me focused.
Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

Offline cassandra

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 01:19:57 AM »
Music is too distracting. TV is okay because I'm used to ignoring it.

I do my best work after midnight. I get everybody else settled down and asleep, zone for a bit, go over what I wrote last and then just get lost in my head. I can knock out a hell of a lot of work from 12 - 4 in a way I can't during any other time of the day. I pay for it later, but that's most productive for me for some reason.