Author Topic: Will the Dresden file RPG have supplements?  (Read 21833 times)

Offline Willowhugger

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The United Federation of Charles
Will the Dresden file RPG have supplements?
« on: December 18, 2006, 09:07:14 PM »
Just a curiosity here.

If so, any ideas of what you'd like to do for them?
Check out my blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @Willowhugger

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Will the Dresden file RPG have supplements?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 09:17:32 PM »
We aren't *planning* for supplements -- the idea here is to produce a wholly stand-alone game in its own right.  I know, sounds crazy. :)

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if people want "updates" occasionally, based on the progress of the books... but *that's* something I want to try to address through the website rather than in producing more books for folks to buy.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Willowhugger

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 09:25:53 PM »
Pity, I'd really love to see expansion books.

But that'd probably require Jim's approval and review before it could be done.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 09:27:31 PM »
Pity, I'd really love to see expansion books.

We'd really like to see people be able to afford a complete game.  Supplementism seems to fight against that.

But that'd probably require Jim's approval and review before it could be done.

That too. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Willowhugger

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 10:27:49 PM »
True, I am very fond of large amounts of supplemental material though because it always adds to the experience.

A singular affordable RPG is great so long as it remains in print but I'm greedy.

;-)

Offline The Last Bean

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 06:54:32 AM »
Yeah, but I'm very distressed with the sheer VOLUME of supplemental material that exists for some games. I'm glad to hear someone creating a game that can be played properly with only a single book, rather than some other games that require several *coughworldofdarkness* or even dozens *coughD&D*. Sorry. Seems to be something in my throat.

Seriously though, I'm totally in favor of a single volume with occational updates and errata to be gotten and printed offline. I wouldn't be opposed to collecting said updates and errata and publishing them as a second volume should there be enough to merit it, and not as a replacement to the online availability, but rather as a cleaner, prettier alternative. (which of course you guys would be totally expected to  throw in some sort of nifty extra to encourage sales and cover the printing costs. It doesn't help anyone for you to go into debt or out of business.)

net balance: -$.02

Offline Acrobatic Flea

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • HeroPress
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 01:26:09 AM »
Yeah, but I'm very distressed with the sheer VOLUME of supplemental material that exists for some games. I'm glad to hear someone creating a game that can be played properly with only a single book, rather than some other games that require several *coughworldofdarkness* or even dozens *coughD&D*. Sorry. Seems to be something in my throat.

Seriously though, I'm totally in favor of a single volume with occational updates and errata to be gotten and printed offline. I wouldn't be opposed to collecting said updates and errata and publishing them as a second volume should there be enough to merit it, and not as a replacement to the online availability, but rather as a cleaner, prettier alternative. (which of course you guys would be totally expected to  throw in some sort of nifty extra to encourage sales and cover the printing costs. It doesn't help anyone for you to go into debt or out of business.)

net balance: -$.02

As a long time, old skool gamer I can't tell you how relieved I am to hear this will be a self-contained entity. This will put an end to to the nightmare of players turning up with supplements (and rules) you know nothing about and throwing a spanner in the works! Now, I know a gamesmaster (GM) can always overrule his players and say these supplements aren't canon to his game ... but that immediately drives a wedge between players and GM ... and the rot begins!
Visit http://heropress.net/ for geeky goodness!

Offline Northcott

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 06:43:29 PM »
This is why I absolutely loved working with Fred and Rob.  They're easily two of the most professional, ethical people in the RPG industry, and their philosophy on games production reflects that.

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 01:51:07 PM »
No library of minutiae?  Whatever will we do with all the excess trees? 

Nice to see everything contained in a single volume, updates would be nice as long as they remain relevant and regular.

Offline Nemo

• Conversationalist
  • International Wizard of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 10:20:21 PM »
I've been gaming for the past 26 years, and I'm 36 now, and I have come to appreciate companies that try to produce self contained games that need no supplements.  In my opinion, supplements only exist to increase "addiction".  It is true that you are not being forced to buy them, but you inevitably find yourself in a situation where you are either running a game, or being a player, and somebody comes in with the newest supplement and tries to use the info it contains.

That being said, I do like the idea of web updates for the Dresden game. 
"Harry, even a nerd should know that it's no coincidence when a girl shows up at a man's hotel room.  You know all she really wants is to--" ~ Bob

Offline Corbin DeBec

• Participant
  • Elve's they taste like chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 10:20:17 AM »
well me and my friends have talked about the rpg and i've claimed it will either be awsome or has been put on a back  burner and will be thrown out when people get tired of being asked when is the release, and i really hope the first part is right.  I agree with most that other games hold back or put out suppliments for marketing purposes only, i really think that those involved in a project solely dedicated to a fan base for Butchers work aren't like that.  However sometimes when creating a game you can miss something and as someone else said as the books develope so should the game.  My suggestion is have loyal proven fans of both the books and the game when it comes out, be able to add their own updates and rules to the game on this site and allow others to download/print the parts they want.  I to am a old school gamer been rpging since 1984, and would hate to think the money i've spend on suppliments, case in point i've got every d20 modern book wizard has released, a couple are 20 bucks and not much larger than a magaizine.  well that's my 2 cents guys
Spirit of the Century Character, Mike "The Cashier" Green aka Cash Green
Holding "The Tommygun of Holy Vengance"

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 03:55:25 PM »
well me and my friends have talked about the rpg and i've claimed it will either be awsome or has been put on a back  burner and will be thrown out when people get tired of being asked when is the release, and i really hope the first part is right.

The first part is right.
Fred Hicks

Offline Corbin DeBec

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 07:26:40 PM »
good thanks

Offline Corbin DeBec

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2007, 09:46:15 PM »
Iago said the actual books can be the suppliments I like that idea. 

Offline Packy

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2007, 09:18:57 AM »
Rather than paper-printing supplements that cost money, why not have single-sheet scenario seeds that could be posted on a weekly or bi-weekly basis on this site?  I know the Dresdon RPG is going to be a FATE system publication, but if you look at the Savage World page (www.peginc.com) you'll find a number of single-sheet adventures for their system.  Most of them are for their 2nd ed. version of Deadlands, but lately they've been publishing some modern horror single-sheets as well.  These adventures are bare-bones scenarios with little more than a plot sketch and some stats for important NPCs and beasties -- enough game info for all but the most green GM.   

Basically, if you provide a "downloads" site for people to upload/download pdf adventures, I think it could do nothing but help the game.  I don't don't know of many GMs that couldn't bash together an adventure into a one- or two-page format without a little thought and effort.  I've written more than a few that could be easily bashed into the pretty much any game system (most are for Buffy or Savage Worlds, but its the story that's most important, not the system). 

The bottom line -- free is good, and if a bunch of us have already done the hard work, why not spread the wealth? 

Packy
A Dresden newbie, so don't flame me.  I'm kinda sensitive that way  ;) 

« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 05:49:57 AM by Packy »