Author Topic: Your Writer's Place  (Read 8332 times)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Your Writer's Place
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2006, 04:22:41 PM »
I don't usually listen to music since I could get distracted by sound.

I can listen to music while writing if it's a) something where I know the lyrics very well indeed, b) something with lyrics in a language I do not know, or c) something without lyrics; that way it does not engage with the bit of brain that's doing the words.

It has to be the right thing for the mood, though.  The extreme example of this is the tape of dance remixes of "My Heart Will Go On" that was a birthday present from someone who was pretty much stalking me at the time; I'm far enough away from the incident now that the tape doesn't freak me out, but it's very good indeed for writing someone in an extremely uncomfortable situation.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Dom

• Conversationalist
  • "I can't believe it's not Butters!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2006, 03:04:21 AM »
I don't have a laptop, so I am not really mobile in my choice of places unless I'm in the mood to take a notebook and then type it in all manually later on.

So I usually write at home, without music.  However, I "plan" stories to music...in the "thinking" phase, I love to take a long bike ride with headphones on, and my characters are sort of in a musical, hee.  But when I actually write, the music interferes with the writing because I listen to it as I would to someone talking to me - even if it's totally instrumental (my early years taking violin, I think).  The rare time I write to music is now, b/c I'm living with a family member and I can't tell them to turn the friggin' TV off when its their day off from work.  So I drown it out with music, b/c music is less distracting then TV.

Anyway, when I have a notebook (and I assume a laptop in the future), my favorite place is mall food courts.  I don't feel as if they are going to kick me out if I'm not eating something, because the chairs and tables aren't owned by any one particular eatery, and I can watch the people around me.  It helps me get a handle on character types that are more removed from my own personality type, because I have real life examples to write from. :D
- has put $0.10 in the pun tip jar as of today.

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2006, 05:23:06 PM »
I don't have a laptop, so I am not really mobile in my choice of places unless I'm in the mood to take a notebook and then type it in all manually later on.

So I usually write at home, without music.  However, I "plan" stories to music...in the "thinking" phase, I love to take a long bike ride with headphones on, and my characters are sort of in a musical, hee.  But when I actually write, the music interferes with the writing because I listen to it as I would to someone talking to me - even if it's totally instrumental (my early years taking violin, I think).  The rare time I write to music is now, b/c I'm living with a family member and I can't tell them to turn the friggin' TV off when its their day off from work.  So I drown it out with music, b/c music is less distracting then TV.

Anyway, when I have a notebook (and I assume a laptop in the future), my favorite place is mall food courts.  I don't feel as if they are going to kick me out if I'm not eating something, because the chairs and tables aren't owned by any one particular eatery, and I can watch the people around me.  It helps me get a handle on character types that are more removed from my own personality type, because I have real life examples to write from. :D

This is interesting.  Music is usually what fuels my initial concept for a scene/character/plot/situation and I have to have it going while I'm writing.  I like the bike ride idea, I think i might try it. 

But food courts?  That's bizarre to me.  I need a closed in space to help focus my energy (much like Harry needs his blasting rod).  If I'm in an open area, I feel like my energy is flying all over the place, as well as everyone elses energy interfering with mine.  But I do like to *go* someplace to write.  I can't really write at home, because home is my sanctuary, my get away from everything.  It's where I relax.  So I have to specifically go someplace to write.  My main place is booth 71 in the local Perkins restaurant.  It's busy there a lot of the time, but the booth is in a corner and set off by a little section of wall from the rest of the dining room.  It's my little nook. 

And it's pretty aweosme because I go there every day, and all the hostesses/hosts know exactly where to sit me without even asking.  It's cool being a regular.
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline Abstruse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace Page
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2006, 06:00:39 PM »
I usually write outlines at work, at a coffee shop/restaurant, or otherwise out somewhere away from the house.  I scribble down whatever ideas come to mind, map out the plot, and do all that sort of stuff.  At home in front of the computer with the music blaring and a nice cup of coffee or glass of beer nearby is where I put them all together.

The Abstruse One
Darryl Mott Jr.

Offline becroberts

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2007, 08:45:27 PM »
When I'm working on novels, I'm generally sitting at my dining room table, slaving over a hot laptop. ^_^ For general plotting, snippets and fanfics, I could be anywhere. At work, in bed, on the couch in the lounge. I have notebooks for all occasions and a handy stash of Parker pens, so I'm prepared for sudden inspiration. Music is optional, but if I'm listening to it then it has to be right for the scene. For example, if I need to write angst, I'll listen to R.E.M.

Of course, this doesn't help when inspiration strikes while I'm in the bath, which happens quite a lot. I wind up juggling a couple of pages worth of dialogue in my head until I get out, get dried and dressed and grab a notebook. I figure lying back in the water has to be good for letting the imagination fly free, or something like that. Same with going for walks.

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2007, 10:47:59 PM »

Of course, this doesn't help when inspiration strikes while I'm in the bath, which happens quite a lot. I wind up juggling a couple of pages worth of dialogue in my head until I get out, get dried and dressed and grab a notebook. I figure lying back in the water has to be good for letting the imagination fly free, or something like that. Same with going for walks.

I think most effectively in the shower.  Something about the running water.  I usually end up falling asleep in the bath.
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.

Offline becroberts

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2007, 06:45:16 PM »

I think most effectively in the shower.  Something about the running water.  I usually end up falling asleep in the bath.

I would, but when I'm in the shower I spend entirely too much time trying to get the water temperature right to let my mind wander.  :D

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2007, 09:40:48 PM »
lol @ bec

Nothing like the perfect temp, I guess.  I have that problem with the bath.  Our house a huge, airy old thing.  It's a beeeatch to heat, because it's two story, the attic, and the basement.  Everywhere but the first floor is just icy in the winter.  And it's still cold enough to wear hoodies and sweats around on the first floor.  Naturally, the bath is on the second floor, so I'll run the water, then choke down a scream of agony as my freezing feet hit the hot water.  And then after it fills, the water goes cold in about ten minutes just because the bathroom is so cold. 

It's actually colder inside than out.  Stupid nature.

Offline BobSkull

• Participant
  • Justice or Vengeance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2007, 05:12:57 PM »
I write in my room on my computer and I lock the door so I'm not ever disturbed. Usually I flick on some hard rock or metal to get me "in the zone", and that works. But yeah, I write away from people in a very isolated enviroment.
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.