Author Topic: Red-Court Infected, the hunger, and donated blood  (Read 10041 times)

Offline Diebdazar

• Participant
    • View Profile
Red-Court Infected, the hunger, and donated blood
« on: August 02, 2008, 03:47:06 AM »
We know that the normal red-court banes can help limit the hunger, and the resulting chance of the infected turning.

But what about sating themselves with donated blood?

There seems to be two ways of going about it:

1) it's like having a nice meal, it will help sate you, for a time.

2) it's like getting a hit for an addiction, it may sate you, but you need more the next time.  Completely avoiding is the safer path.

For number 1 the support is the fact that fully turned vampires don't have to get more and more blood each time, long as they have their fill they're fine.

Number 2 has Bianca (maybe) and freshly turned, amnesiac, Susan (maybe).  Could just be the 'only had one bite of the meal' type of thing.

Have a character who is thinking of playing an infected so trying to decide for that.

Of course, getting a supply could be tricky in of itself. . . Unless the red court taps into the bloodbanks without feeding directly all the time. . . maybe :P

Offline Miharu

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Red-Court Infected, the hunger, and donated blood
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 04:17:32 AM »
This is actually something I have wondered about. I don't remember hearing Susan talk about food (or eat anything) while she was in Chicago in Blood Rites. I have been wondering if maybe the "turned" but not vampires might be drinking some donated blood just to keep themselves under control.
Tinkerbell's probably some flesh-eating Willowisp.

Offline Darkhallow

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • <HTML><HEAD><TITLE>dkjfwekjnc4.com</TITLE></HEAD><FRAMESET rows="*,40,0" border="0" bordercolor="#FFFFFF"><FRAME Name='central' SRC='http://apps5.oingo.com/apps/domainpark
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 12:25:10 AM »
i thought that any semi-turned red court vampire, such as susan, had to avoid drinking any blood, because doing that automatically turned you into a full fleged red court vampire. therefore a half turned red court vampire cant sate their thist with blood because dong that turns them into a vampire.
"are you always a wiseass?" "no, sometimes i'm asleep"
"everyone else who lets me ride on their dinasoaur calls me carlos"

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 12:28:23 AM »
i thought that any semi-turned red court vampire, such as susan, had to avoid drinking any blood, because doing that automatically turned you into a full fleged red court vampire. therefore a half turned red court vampire cant sate their thist with blood because dong that turns them into a vampire.

This is my understanding as well. Also we have not seen any indication that old blood (like from a blood bank) will work. It may need to be from the source.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Miharu

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 04:55:29 AM »

I thought they had to kill someone to become a full fledged red court vampire. Must go back to my books and read up a bit more. Does it ever mention what the Black Court vampires feed off? Was it death?

Miharu
Tinkerbell's probably some flesh-eating Willowisp.

Offline Soulless Mystic5523

• Posty McPostington
  • Icon lovingly crafted by ButMadNNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 08:10:58 PM »
I seem to recall that it requires killing to turn. And bot hthe Red and Black Courts feed on blood.
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN.

Death    Reaper Man   Terry Pratchett

DV SoullessMystic5523 V1.2 YR7 FR5 BK++ RP+++ JB++ TH++ WG CL++ SW+ BC+ MC---- SH[Murphy++, Molly+]

Offline Stephen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 10:23:20 AM »
I seem to recall that it requires killing to turn. And bot hthe Red and Black Courts feed on blood.
While there are references to both Rds and Blacks feeding on blood the actions we see the Black Vamps do in BR might be feeding on blood or getting high on blood all we know is that they seemed to be drinking it.
Even if they are drinking blood the issue is do they want the physical stuff or are they drinking blood because of its metaphysical characteristics (e.g. magical and soul qualities).
Stephen

Offline Diebdazar

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 06:48:26 AM »
*casts resurrection on thread*

I've a red court infectee who is about to join my game and so I find myself pondering this question again. So I come to bounce ideas and seek help with a brainstorm

Especially since, unless he changes his mind, said infectee will _not_ be part of the Order of St. Giles and will thusly lack the tattoos.

Would drinking donated blood help or only make things worse?

Should I require that the blood be fresh or would some from the bloodbank help? (how to acquire such from the blood bank though would be a challenge in of itself). . .

Would drinking some rats or other animals help at all, or would it count as killing and thus trigger a turning?

*ponders this all even as he runs from the wardens*

Offline Stephen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 10:20:38 AM »
*casts resurrection on thread*

I've a red court infectee who is about to join my game and so I find myself pondering this question again. So I come to bounce ideas and seek help with a brainstorm

Especially since, unless he changes his mind, said infectee will _not_ be part of the Order of St. Giles and will thusly lack the tattoos.
He will therefore have no warning about the rising power of his red vamp motivation and traits and would in stressful circumstances risk being lost to red vamp compulsions and seeking blood and turning. Result very short character life.
Solution, find alternative way of achieving similar result to magical tattoos - risk not tried and tested method so unknown failure modes.

Would drinking donated blood help or only make things worse?
Risk of going red vamp instantly. Blood is the trigger and may work regardless of the need for life energies in the blood. If life energy is required and donated blood has less/none he could be a very weak red vamp power wise.

Should I require that the blood be fresh or would some from the bloodbank help? (how to acquire such from the blood bank though would be a challenge in of itself). . .
Get a job there, own the premises, etc. But it is humanity character death. I've thought of this issue before but it was so long ago I've forgotten much of my conclusions in relation to susan but drinking blood was out.

Would drinking some rats or other animals help at all, or would it count as killing and thus trigger a turning?
Risk of turning and resulting in weakened vamp.

Textev says blood is trigger for change.

My thoughts were the blood taken is physically incapable of supporting Rvamps (not enough nutrition) so is used either for carriage of life energies or to (my spec) establish a thaumaturgic link to donor's body where the rvamp's physical needs are magically siphoned from the multiple donors supporting each rvamp, number needed depending on the take e.g. take 1/10 of donor's nutrition need 10 donors for human strength more for superhuman strength.
Life energies, ahhh uncalculable
but is rpg possible solution for player. Find way of obtaining life energies off living animals or slaughtered animals - work at/access slaughter house (chickens, sheep, etc) or terminal hospice/execution site (humans) but this is risky.
Best idea - get tattoos and eat lots of high calorie food to provide energy needs of superhuman strength, or scrap character.
Stephen

Stephen

Offline Diebdazar

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 01:02:08 AM »
He will therefore have no warning about the rising power of his red vamp motivation and traits and would in stressful circumstances risk being lost to red vamp compulsions and seeking blood and turning. Result very short character life.
Solution, find alternative way of achieving similar result to magical tattoos - risk not tried and tested method so unknown failure modes.
Fortunately he choose to have the character be part of the order.

Risk of going red vamp instantly. Blood is the trigger and may work regardless of the need for life energies in the blood. If life energy is required and donated blood has less/none he could be a very weak red vamp power wise.
  Umm, no. . . Else Susan wouldn't have survived the taste she got from Harry.  Taking a life by feeding is specifically required.

My thoughts were the blood taken is physically incapable of supporting Rvamps (not enough nutrition) so is used either for carriage of life energies or to (my spec) establish a thaumaturgic link to donor's body where the rvamp's physical needs are magically siphoned from the multiple donors supporting each rvamp, number needed depending on the take e.g. take 1/10 of donor's nutrition need 10 donors for human strength more for superhuman strength.
Life energies, ahhh uncalculable
but is rpg possible solution for player. Find way of obtaining life energies off living animals or slaughtered animals - work at/access slaughter house (chickens, sheep, etc) or terminal hospice/execution site (humans) but this is risky.
Best idea - get tattoos and eat lots of high calorie food to provide energy needs of superhuman strength, or scrap character.
Stephen

I am thinking of going with the the life energies angle.

The main question I am pondering is that if the character does fail the checks and begins to feed, but is forcefully stopped before taking a life, would make the thirst easier (hunger is sated slightly/for the time being, kinda like whampires who feed shallowly), more difficult('more more more more more!'), or just 'different' ('Sooo good') to resist?

So far I'm leaning more towards the easier for a time angle, or at worse just 'different' in flavor text but same in difficulty.

Offline Stephen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 03:59:09 PM »
I am thinking of going with the the life energies angle.

The main question I am pondering is that if the character does fail the checks and begins to feed, but is forcefully stopped before taking a life, would make the thirst easier (hunger is sated slightly/for the time being, kinda like whampires who feed shallowly), more difficult('more more more more more!'), or just 'different' ('Sooo good') to resist?

So far I'm leaning more towards the easier for a time angle, or at worse just 'different' in flavor text but same in difficulty.

If he needs to feed on life energies and it is thru blood then the result depends upon how you decide what is enough (full Red Vamps probably require much more than half RVs for 'living' so it should be easier). The magical controls installed thru the tattoos can be limited to what Susan said (warning) but there could be 'experimental' additions.
Stephen