Author Topic: I Don't Understand  (Read 3163 times)

Offline svb1972

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
I Don't Understand
« on: February 19, 2010, 09:30:34 PM »
I really don't understand publishers.  At all.

The latest Raymond E Feist book published in UK, New Zealand and Australia on January 1st.
It will not be available in America until April 6th.  It will not be available in the Netherlands until July/August.

REALLY?  In this day and age of international shipping.  I can buy it from Amazon.co.uk for effectily $27.00 and have it next week.  Or, I can wait 3 extra months.  What exactly is the point of doing such different release dates across the world.
Why should the US Market have to wait 4 months, (or vice versa).  It makes no sense.  Stupid publishers.

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: I Don't Understand
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 10:47:21 PM »
I think it has something to do with translations and with international publishers getting the nod from the IP holders to start printing. It probably has something to do with scheduling and queuing print runs, etc. It's a process, it takes time.

Offline svb1972

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 11:21:52 PM »
I think it has something to do with translations and with international publishers getting the nod from the IP holders to start printing. It probably has something to do with scheduling and queuing print runs, etc. It's a process, it takes time.

Translation?
From American English (the Author)
To UK English
then back?
I know it's a process.. but really the manuscript was done at the same time.  Why should it be 4 months earlier in the UK

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 11:25:20 PM »
Translation?
To UK English
then back?
I know it's a process.. but really the manuscript was done at the same time.  Why should it be 4 months earlier in the UK

I thought you mentioned an edition in the Netherlands somewhere... :: Puzzled, goes back, re-reads the original post::

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 01:49:05 AM »
One difference is that UK editions are printed with a different cover than US editions, and I'd think that would make something of a difference.  Plus books aren't always put out in different countries by the same publisher, so maybe they got the manuscript at different times.  I would think that if Feist's main publishing house is in the UK the book will come out there first.  I know that's how a lot of Janny Wurtz's books were published while she had a US publisher.  Plus US publications usually come out later in the UK, as well.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 12:10:03 PM »
Translation?
To UK English
then back?

It's called localization (or, since we're talking UK English, localisation :D ). You'd likely be surprised at how long it takes to Britify an American-English text; it's not just spelling, it's phrasing (SO many idiomatic shifts between the two, even non-slang) and sometimes even basic, everyday references. Example: in one Robert Heinlein book, if I recall correctly, the characters refer to Dramamine (an anti-motion sickness over-the-counter medicine). The UK version, however, changed that to Bonine.

And all that takes place AFTER the final round of approved edits to the original text. Add to that repagination (books are often in a slightly different physical format between Europe and North America) and nailing down a different cover. It's pretty much doomed to take quite a while.

One thing that still confuses me is that Feist is American and is based in the US. *blinks* How, then, does the Commonwealth get first crack at his book? Or is he published by a UK house? I think that's where the answer really lies. Try ordering from Amazon Canada; they often get stuff in line with the Commonwealth.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 06:21:14 PM »
Fiest might have gotten a deal first with a UK publisher.  I think that's how it was with Janny Wurtz, and there's another guy, Dan something--one of the writing excuses guys--and his books have been published for a while in the UK and are just starting to get put out here.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 06:31:02 PM »
Fiest might have gotten a deal first with a UK publisher.  I think that's how it was with Janny Wurtz, and there's another guy, Dan something--one of the writing excuses guys--and his books have been published for a while in the UK and are just starting to get put out here.

Interesting possibility; that would certainly explain it.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 04:18:54 PM »
It's called localization (or, since we're talking UK English, localisation :D ). You'd likely be surprised at how long it takes to Britify an American-English text; it's not just spelling, it's phrasing (SO many idiomatic shifts between the two, even non-slang) and sometimes even basic, everyday references. Example: in one Robert Heinlein book, if I recall correctly, the characters refer to Dramamine (an anti-motion sickness over-the-counter medicine). The UK version, however, changed that to Bonine.

Not all publishers do this; not all do it consistently; sometimes it depends on what copyeditor you get.  I'm aware of one major NY-based publisher that considers books by British authors being in British English a positive selling point.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 04:22:26 PM »
Not all publishers do this; not all do it consistently; sometimes it depends on what copyeditor you get.  I'm aware of one major NY-based publisher that considers books by British authors being in British English a positive selling point.

Quite true. Nevertheless, it's a possibility in this case; I'm not familiar with his publisher.