Author Topic: The Sweet Spot  (Read 2230 times)

Offline Uilos

• Posty McPostington
  • The Snark Side of the Force
    • View Profile
The Sweet Spot
« on: June 09, 2009, 03:02:30 AM »
Do you ever, at times, get into writing a chapter, or a particular section, and for whatever reason, it just feels right to you?

I'm not implying that writing is a chore, it's a labor of love. What I'm talking about is just something in what you're working on at the moment makes it all the more worth while.

I'm currently in that. I'm writing fic and this one section I wrote just seemed to flow. And as I sat there, I couldn't help but say "God Damn, this is wonderful?"

Anyone else no what I mean? Anyone else hit this "Sweet Spot?"
Quote from: Shecky
It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning. It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: The Sweet Spot
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 03:28:29 AM »
Do you ever, at times, get into writing a chapter, or a particular section, and for whatever reason, it just feels right to you?

Yep.

IME, it has no connection whatsoever with whether the bit actually turns out to be any good in the cold light of day.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 11:35:46 AM »
Yep.

IME, it has no connection whatsoever with whether the bit actually turns out to be any good in the cold light of day.

I'll agree with this.

I'm not implying that writing is a chore, it's a labor of love. What I'm talking about is just something in what you're working on at the moment makes it all the more worth while.

I'm currently in that. I'm writing fic and this one section I wrote just seemed to flow. And as I sat there, I couldn't help but say "God Damn, this is wonderful?"

Anyone else no what I mean? Anyone else hit this "Sweet Spot?"

I think most people, or at least a lot, would probably say this is when they're in "the zone."  And like neurovore said, it's not necessarily always good.  But for me it's when everything else sort of just fades to the edges and it's all about the words coming out.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline KarlTenBrew

• Conversationalist
  • The good and the bad, but the gun doesn't hurt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 04:27:50 PM »
Zone, sweet spot, zen, meditation, intuition, w/e...definately.  Usually I'll have a general idea of where the story is headed, and go along trying to go a certain direction.  This writing tends to be o.k., but not really super.  Then sometimes there's that spark of inspiration, and even if it takes me away from the plan, I go with it.  Vast majority of the time the idea/direction refocus, if not always the writing itself, stays.
Am I a wannabe who won't finish, or tadpole author waiting to grow up?  Probably the former, but we'll find out later.

'Agents of C.R.O.S.S.' - coming soon(ish)©®™ to a bookstore near you, courtesy of Karl TenBrew

Offline Nawlins34

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 06:31:39 PM »
I love the sweet spot. I tried to be 70% creative and 30% structured.

I just look at that chapter and make sure a few events will happen for sure, but there are times i'm really feeling my writing and i just take off with it. Kudos if it's material that fits what I actually need there. If not, I take that dialogue or scene and put it away for another story or what have you. They don't happen often, but when they do, wow.  :)
"The man who says he can, and the man who says he can't are both right. Which one are you son, which one are you?" -Anonymous football coach

Offline RobJN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Storybook Factory
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 07:54:45 PM »
Nothing better than when the words just fill up the page, seemingly of their own accord. As if to make up for the days they spend hiding from the muse, scurrying out from under the fingertips when you try to pin them to the page....

Word karma, maybe?

Is there a law of conservation of creativity? ;)

It's been a long time since I wrote much that actually welled up from that "sweet spot;" I seem to spend a lot more time dredging the words up and making the scenes work. But oh, when I hit that groove...  ;D