Author Topic: Attempted Insanity  (Read 1884 times)

Offline KarlTenBrew

• Conversationalist
  • The good and the bad, but the gun doesn't hurt
    • View Profile
Attempted Insanity
« on: June 08, 2009, 11:51:59 PM »
So, I finally managed to organize my writing exercises and come up with a book idea I can actually manage.  One that I can both keep focused and expand outward if I need to.  I've got the story essentially worked out for what would be the test book to see if it's better as a one-shot or worth expanding upon.  As such, I've got a teaser:

http://www.fileupyours.com/view/248613/SCteaser.doc

You're using Kindle and this is your preview before the buy prompt.  Or you're browsing B+N, and an attendant tells you to put it down or buy it when you reach the end of chapter five (darn attentdants, no free lunch!).  You haven't heard about it from friends, you know nothing about the world or characters, it's just another book that caught your eye to test for your collection. You have to make the decision: buy the book for $8 - $10 by the unknown author on the 'new' shelf, or shrug and leave it.  So what I'm looking for here is: do you find it interesting?  Why or why not?  Constructive criticism?  Anything that'll make it better is welcome, anything about WHY it is or isn't good is even more welcome.
Am I a wannabe who won't finish, or tadpole author waiting to grow up?  Probably the former, but we'll find out later.

'Agents of C.R.O.S.S.' - coming soon(ish)©®™ to a bookstore near you, courtesy of Karl TenBrew

Offline seekmore

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Attempted Insanity
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 12:11:34 AM »
Or you're browsing B+N, and an attendant tells you to put it down or buy it when you reach the end of chapter five (darn attentdants, no free lunch!). 

They do that?

Man, I've read entire books in Barnes and Noble, uninterrupted.

But...only books that I didn't have the money to buy at the moment and really wanted to read.

I always wind up buying the book anyway, either because I just enjoyed it that much, or out of guilt.
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant  Robert McCloskey

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did but people will never forget how you made them feel  Maya Angelou

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 03:34:57 AM »
Man, I've read entire books in Barnes and Noble, uninterrupted.

But...only books that I didn't have the money to buy at the moment and really wanted to read.

I always wind up buying the book anyway, either because I just enjoyed it that much, or out of guilt.

I usually buy something else on the same visit, because I only do that with books I'm sure I won;t want to read again; if i like something a lot I want to bring it home and read it in comfort.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline NothingWicked

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 07:28:27 PM »
I like it and would buy it. I do have some suggestions (I'll send them to you if you want), but I like what you've done so far. Great work, keep at it, and let me know when I can buy it!  :D
"per me si va nella citta dolente, per me si va nell' etterno dolore, per me si va tra la perduta gente"

Offline KarlTenBrew

• Conversationalist
  • The good and the bad, but the gun doesn't hurt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 12:00:58 AM »
I'm always open to suggestions, and I'll be sure to blatantly plug my book everywhere I can if I can manage to get published :D
Am I a wannabe who won't finish, or tadpole author waiting to grow up?  Probably the former, but we'll find out later.

'Agents of C.R.O.S.S.' - coming soon(ish)©®™ to a bookstore near you, courtesy of Karl TenBrew