Author Topic: Personal Avatars???  (Read 14102 times)

Offline Shiggy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Personal Avatars???
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2006, 02:12:18 AM »
I just didn't want to sound like I'm ordering anyone around.  It's not my place.  So I'm sorry if it came across that way.  A screen with type doesn't really tell you tone of voice.

Offline James

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 08:31:29 AM »
Just changed mine ;D
Text arriving soon...

Offline prime_spirit

• Conversationalist
  • You only got one day that's your last...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006, 08:45:26 AM »
Kiriath just posted with her own image, and she only has 39 posts. 

No she didn't. Her avatar's in the Actors folder somewhere close to the top, called David Boreanaz. At least, it was there the last time I checked it.

Oh and yay, I got a personal avatar too :).

Beta-testing: December 2007

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2006, 04:22:04 PM »
Kiriath just posted with her own image, and she only has 39 posts. 

No she didn't. Her avatar's in the Actors folder somewhere close to the top, called David Boreanaz. At least, it was there the last time I checked it.

Oh and yay, I got a personal avatar too :).

Aaaaaah, I stand corrected!  Thanks for pointing that out, as I was scratching my head over it.  I had forgotten that there were any non-Butcher-related icons available on the boards.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2006, 05:08:52 PM »
I've been resistant to going back to the only-forum-supplied-avatars thing for a few reasons:

1) I'm very slow about updating the avatar supply.
2) It seemed like a nice perk to give our regular forum folks (post often enough, get yourself a visual signature)
3) I hate taking away privileges that I've given -- and, while this one was something I sorta "accidentally" left enabled, I'm a firm believer that I should eat my own mistakes. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline James

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2006, 05:26:15 PM »
I've been resistant to going back to the only-forum-supplied-avatars thing for a few reasons:

1) I'm very slow about updating the avatar supply.
2) It seemed like a nice perk to give our regular forum folks (post often enough, get yourself a visual signature)
3) I hate taking away privileges that I've given -- and, while this one was something I sorta "accidentally" left enabled, I'm a firm believer that I should eat my own mistakes. :)

The reason I like individual avatars is I can recognise people quicker than if I had to read thier names. Yep it's just me being lazy.
Text arriving soon...

Offline Valiar Marcus

• Conversationalist
  • Don't mess with my man Harry, dig?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2007, 07:03:21 AM »
Sorry L.N.  I know I originally asked because it was overly large in general, and then Iago mentioned the height and also mentioned it should be normal sized.

I don't want to get anyone mad at me.  But maybe we should ask him to streamline the size requirements.  I know other boards put it in the board admin's controls to make it so someone can't load an icon over a certain size.
I for one was kinda hoping that oversize icons would auto-squish to the proper size.  I've seen that on other boards.  Sigh, took me several tries to get this one mushed down to 100x100, but it does look better than the previous one.  :)
Chad Mitchell

"Doctors can always bury their mistakes. Architects can only advise their client to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline The Dread Pharaoh Roberts

• Posty McPostington
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Family friendly tees, mugs, posters, etc...
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2007, 05:27:30 PM »
The reason I like individual avatars is I can recognise people quicker than if I had to read thier names. Yep it's just me being lazy.

I'm in this camp, too - it gets confusing when three or four posters with the same icon are in a thread - you start having to go back and see who's who.

Of course, now that I've topped 100, I can always spot my own posts, so I'm happy.
Your Pharaoh Has Spoken...

Online portfolio: http://samurphy0320.deviantart.com/

Offline Pinky Narfanek

• Conversationalist
  • The truth is a three edged narf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2007, 02:29:56 AM »
Reading tag-lines helps, too.  I had figured that I was safe with my choice of avatar only to discover that someone else was already using it.

I'll have my own, and very easily identifiable, avatar soon enough that I won't be causing any more confusion with 'howls.
I think so, Brain, but burlap chafes me so...

Offline Zygoptera

• Conversationalist
  • Alright, do that voodoo that you do, not very well
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2007, 07:27:10 AM »
Has anybody had any problems lately with their personal avatars disappearing? Mine is within the 100x100 restriction, but randomly now, my avatar keeps disappearing and I have to reload it. Is there a reason for this?
Cave ab homine unius libri

Great Ruler of the Regions Where Things Freeze Solid And Fall Off

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2007, 02:07:35 PM »
Are you hosting it off site?

If you're hosting it off site, it might have something to do with your hosting co.  If it's here (I don't even remember if you can upload your own with the settings on this board), then they might be having some space issues.
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale."
- Marie Curie