Author Topic: Scene Setting Movies  (Read 2238 times)

Offline Stephen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Scene Setting Movies
« on: May 10, 2009, 12:10:52 PM »
I just saw Next which was a movie about a guy that could 'see' 2 minutes into the future (I think Abby in WK was slightly longer) but Next could be a DVish Movie.

The Covenant was another movie that could be a DVish Movie.

What other movies have people seen that could be Dresdenverse-ish and hence good for some RPG scene setting?

Offline T.R.C.C.

• Posty McPostington
  • The Red Court Courier
    • View Profile
Re: Scene Setting Movies
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 10:05:02 PM »
One film comes to mind. A 1988 film called Spellbinder. It is about a man trying to stop a cult of spellcasers trying to kill a woman he stoped from being mugged down a back alley.

scenes that I remember are the party/kitchen scene and the beach scene. I will not spoil the story by telling much more then that  ;)
Legitimatly earning money for the high cost of not living.
Hobbys include hunting down spelling and grammer mistakes with a dictionary shotgun, but a few slip by.

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
  • You can have your own truth, not your own facts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 07:03:19 AM »
What can I say - I love referencing IMDB

Cast a Deadly Spell - Mystery/suspense/comedy - In a fantastical 40's where magic is used by everyone, a hard-boiled detective investigates the theft of a mystical tome. - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101550/

Constantine - Suspense/thriller/horror - Based on the DC/Vertigo comic book Hellblazer and written by Kevin Brodbin, Mark Bomback and Frank Capello, Constantine tells the story of irreverent supernatural detective John Constantine (Keanu Reeves), who has literally been to hell and back. - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0360486/

Pan's Labyrinth or El laberinto del fauno (yes, it's in Spanish)- War/suspense/horror - In the fascist Spain of 1944, the bookish young stepdaughter of a sadistic army officer escapes into an eerie but captivating fantasy world - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457430/

Although it would break alot of rules of magic and I have no idea how you would incorporate it into a game - The Butterfly Effect - Suspense/thiller  - A young man blocks out harmful memories of significant events of his life. As he grows up, he finds a way to remember these lost memories and a supernatural way to alter his life. - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0289879/

An interesting version of what could be an extended soul gaze - The Cell - horror/suspense/psycho thriller - A psychotherapist journeys inside a comatose serial killer in the hopes of saving his latest victim.- good visuals/disturbing - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0209958/

Pretty much anything with superheroes could be modified for the supernatural as well

"When I was 5 years old my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when i grew up. I wrote down “Happy”. They told me i didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. "
-John Lennon-

Offline Eternally Lost Zeppo

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 11:28:56 AM »
Possibly the Night Watch and Day Watch movies. One of the comments a friend of mine had when I introduced himself to the Dresden Files (admittedly the TV version rather than the books) was that the way magic worked in it reminded him of Night Watch.

Offline Simon Hogwood

• Conversationalist
  • Proud Dresdenarian
    • View Profile
    • Words of Wonderment
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 05:58:20 PM »
I think the Hellboy movies would be a good fit for this, the second perhaps moreso than the first - but I haven't seen the second yet, so that opinion is based entirely on hearsay.
Blogging his way through The Dresden Files (currently on hiatus).

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
  • You can have your own truth, not your own facts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 04:52:00 AM »
2nd one is good too - I like that they got more into the supernatural world and in the end they all.... :o....HA, go watch the movie.  ;)
"When I was 5 years old my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when i grew up. I wrote down “Happy”. They told me i didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. "
-John Lennon-

Offline Stephen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 10:39:29 AM »
Well NEXT (DV) rpg was held on the w/e and enjoyed by all.

Backstory
Nick decides to target the RC human support organisation and create international chaos.

It was your typical Nick chaos matrix.
1. War between USA and Russia (biggest win but lowest possibility)
2. Russian nuclear explosion triggers earthquake along west coast USA.
3. Russian nuclear explosion destroys LA and triggers local earthquakes
4. Russian nuclear explosion destroys LA.
5. LA threatened by Russian nuclear explosion (lowest win but certain possibility)
In all cases USA/Russian tensions are increased and RC human organisation blamed for theft of Russian nuclear weapon and threatened USA explosion.

Day -16
Nick arranges for the theft of a Russian nuclear weapon and passes it to the Red Court Human support organisation (the guys who provided the mercenaries, weapons and poison gas) transporting it to LA USA for long term storage (where it will be deverted to use by Nick). The weapon head and bomb are separated and moved independently (and sent to the docks).

FBI agent advised by Church officials under confessional rules about theft and need for assistance by proven precog.

Next the movie.