Author Topic: In the beginning - my world's creation myth  (Read 1678 times)

Offline seekmore

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
In the beginning - my world's creation myth
« on: April 27, 2009, 04:30:39 AM »
The Creator descended from His heavenly plane.

Before Him, there was Chaos.

He reached into the Chaos and withdrew the twelve Elder Gods.

First came Asael the Worldmaker. The Creator gave him the power of Creation and gifted him with the first piece of the Divine Pattern. With it, he would organize Chaos and create the World. During the Beginning he is the Leader of the Elder Gods and safeguards it through the Pattern.

Second, came twin gods Zia, Scion of Light, and Ossidyx the Shadow. All the Light in creation shines from Zia, and likewise all Darkness from Ossidyx. Zia's daughter, Selis, is the moon and her son, Laron, is the sun. Because of their natures, Ossidyx and Zia can never occupy the same place in the heavens at once.

Arina, the bringer of Peace, was the next of the Elder Gods brought forth. It was she who sang to Chaos and stilled it so that the Elder Gods could could take what they needed to begin the Pattern.

The Keeper of Lore was the fifth Elder God to be born. He is aware of all that goes on in the universe and keeps meticulous track of it. The Creator gave him the second portion of the Divine Pattern. During the Time In-Between, it is the Keeper who shall lead the Elder Gods and ensure the World follows the Pattern.

Asael fashioned a Wheel the moment Ageus the Watcher was born. Ageus oversees the passage of Time by turning the Wheel.  When Time began, he also had Asael fashion an unbreakable chain. Ageus bound himself to the Wheel using the chain, lest he be tempted to stop. It is said that on the last day, the chain will break of its own accord and Ageus will be free of his task.

Talmora the Lifegiver is the Elder God of Life. It was she who breathed life into the creations of her siblings, and it is she who presides over the distribution of souls.

Sorcerous Ossyra is the Elder God of Magic. She is the source of all magic, and her two sons, Hike and Veles, taught magic to mortals and the Younger Gods.

Yaar, the Wild One, became the ninth Elder God. He presides over all aspects of Nature. It was he who fashioned all the plants and animals in existence. From the smallest bird winging its way through the trees, to the largest fish in the sea.

Balest the Herald was the tenth Elder God spoken into existence. To him fall all aspects of War.

Entoma Darkwind is the Elder God of Death. Entoma knows the Fate of every mortal. It is she who ensures that souls make it to their final destination. When the End comes, she will be one of the last Gods to return to Chaos.

The youngest of the Elder Gods is Casimira. The Creator entrusted her with the final portion of the Pattern. She will lead the World to its End, for she is the Elder God of Destruction.

And so, his purpose accomplished, the Creator returned to His domain.

Working in concert, the Elder Gods took from the remaining Chaos. They sculpted mountains and valleys, flattened plains, and filled rivers and oceans. Yaar and Talmora populated the World with all manner of plants and beasts. After they had completed all this, Ageus took his place at the Wheel and Time began.

Note:This is kind of preliminary. I'd been thinking about it for a while, and this is the first time I have written it out.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 07:52:41 PM by seekmore »
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant  Robert McCloskey

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did but people will never forget how you made them feel  Maya Angelou

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: In the beginning - my world's creation myth
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 08:35:11 PM »
Does the Keeper of Lore have a name, or is he intentionally left extra mysterious?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline seekmore

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 08:38:24 PM »
Does the Keeper of Lore have a name, or is he intentionally left extra mysterious?

I was fiddling around with names and couldn't come up with a decent one.
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant  Robert McCloskey

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did but people will never forget how you made them feel  Maya Angelou

Offline Supremacy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 06:49:47 AM »

I like it. I think having such things down adds an original feel to the 'world'.

About the Keeper of Lore; from your description, he seems pretty important. From my personal experience as a reader, the less I know upfront about a character like that, the more eagerly I flip through pages trying to grab all the little details any time they are mentioned ;)

Offline seekmore

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 08:42:40 AM »
I could write little things like this all day.

The story of the creation of the races.

A story of the sadness of twins Zia and Ossydx, and how Zia affixed bits of herself to the sky, so that Ossydyx might always be reminded of her.

Of how, later, when the rivalry between Laron, the sun, and Selis, the moon, became so great that Selis went to live with her uncle.

The various births of the New Gods.

The purposes of the Younger Gods.

A story of a how Balest the Herald fueled and then stopped a war between the New Gods(beings who were not present at the Beginning, but were brought into existence by the leftovers of Creation and the Faith of humans) and the Young Gods(children of the Elder Gods tasked with maintaining the natural order).

Of how one day the Keeper of Lore noticed how Ageus sometimes struggled with turning the Wheel because of the actions of mortals, so he created the Ageless Seer and her Companion and sent them to live among mortals and prevent the actions that might affect the course of Time.

How Casimira felt that such a being might prevent the Pattern from ever reaching its End, so she made it so that each generation would forget of the Seer's existence or that she should be listened to.(a parallel to the myth of Cassandra)

Or how the very existence of humans, and their sudden appearance in the world, came as a surprise and shock to the Elder Gods.

Of how Entoma injured herself when she tried to see beyond the Gate she ushered souls through on the next leg of their journey.

The story of how Demons came into existence, and how they gained influence in the world.

Of how three Demon Lords became New Gods.

And those are just the ones involving the gods directly, I can think of a several more that are about the inhabitants of the world.

The story of why there are no longer any Giants.

The enslavement of the Elves and Dwarves by the Winged Ones.

Of how the flying cities of the Winged Ones fell from the sky and why the Gods cursed them.

The story of a human nation and how they became Wanderers.

The births of the two human empires.

The Exodus of the dark Elves from the light Elves.(Moses with pointed ears)

The emergence of the Sickness amongst the light elves.