Author Topic: Looking for a little feed back  (Read 2122 times)

Offline Weaverchilde

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Looking for a little feed back
« on: April 29, 2009, 06:02:02 PM »
I am looking to find a writers group and am hoping that someone can direct me to such a thing or is willing to give feedback. I am currently working on short stories only, but hope to move into novels when time allows. Also any suggestions on where short stories can get published would be appreciated.

For those interested in what I have ready for feedback, http://weaverchilde.livejournal.com/1764.html

Dave Bozarh
"A mind without purpose will wander in dark places."

Offline Apocrypha

• Conversationalist
  • As seen on tv
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a little feed back
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 06:30:22 AM »
Have you heard of www.zoetrope.com ?  Reviewing is part of the process there but all submitted pieces have to be complete.
I am not a narcissist. I humbly accept the fact that I'm extremely good looking, smart, and better than you.

City Of Heroes:  @Heathen Cross

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 12:24:40 AM »
Zoetrope's a goo site. I highly recommend it.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 01:30:12 AM »
I checked out your story. Overall it was quiyr good. One minor change I'd suggest is starting off with the drop off. Jump right into the airplane suddenly coming under heavy fire--bullets tearing through the cabin, some guy's head turning into red mist, the sudden sensation of falling then the strange, easy calm of free fall as the narrator parachutes to the drop zone.

Other than that, I'd recommend researching military jargon, and having the characters throw around some authentic acronymns. (The US Army seems to have an acronymn for just about everything.) Don't go so heavy as to lose readers who aren't familiar with those terms, but I think dropping a few in would be good for the story.

Nice work. Good luck!
Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

Offline Apocrypha

• Conversationalist
  • As seen on tv
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 02:15:44 AM »
Zoetrope's a goo site. I highly recommend it.

Are you there as well, Lanodantheon?
I am not a narcissist. I humbly accept the fact that I'm extremely good looking, smart, and better than you.

City Of Heroes:  @Heathen Cross

Offline Weaverchilde

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 08:31:30 PM »
Have you heard of www.zoetrope.com ?  Reviewing is part of the process there but all submitted pieces have to be complete.

I have not, I will have to check it out.

Offline kaemgen

• Conversationalist
  • Ignore me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 11:47:39 AM »
critters.org is a good site... You have to give feedback to get it though which always seemed fair to me. Of course I haven't been writing for years so it's been a while since I've been there.

Offline thausgt

• Conversationalist
  • Hyperspace Arsenal: A wizard's best friend.
    • View Profile
    • Perrin's Oddments
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 04:16:00 AM »
Another option is Review Fuse:
http://www.reviewfuse.com/

The free account allows you to post up to five pieces of writing, be they poems or stories or essays or whatever. In exchange for posting your own reviews of four other members' work, you'll get three reviews of each work you specifically mark as "up for review". If you're worried about letting the cat out of the bag with respect to copyrights and whatnot, you're allowed to set the work as "visible to reviewers only". The site gives several specific questions to each reviewer, encouraging them to clarifiy their comments more than "I liked it" or not. I've had some good experiences with it, both in giving and receiving reviews.
From my heart and from my hand
Why don't people understand
My intentions?