Author Topic: Open discussion of my book's universe  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Cooper

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • LJMcLean.net
Open discussion of my book's universe
« on: April 01, 2009, 03:33:48 PM »
If you don't know me, you might recall me writing a book for Nanowrimo.  As it turned out, I made the 50k marker and I'm now attempting to edit the book.  What I need is psychological elements to my story because it involves ideas of body transformations, magic, country-wide containment into concentration facilities, living in a new body, talking to your spirit guide for the first time ever (a little homage to His Dark Materials), and an event that even the entry galaxy will be aware of.

I made a seperate post on the website:

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/node/3015108

And a synopsis of the story:

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/211036

I am asking for your opinion if you ever found yourself in this position, whether you are the first to transform after waking from an hour long coma, transform in two years, the last one to transform, or anywhere in between.  Your opinion on using magic is important because it also shapes the person you will have to be.  Please note that this is happening to everybody on the planet, including the secluded tribes of the third world and its a 4-year transformation. Be honest as possible and have fun!

What would you do if you had six hours of humanity left?

« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 05:59:37 PM by Cooper »
http://www.ljmclean.net/

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Open discussion of my book's universe
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 05:31:25 PM »
Very interesting premise. If I'm not mistaken, the Mayans believed in different eras, each marked by one of the four elements. Each era was ruled by an element and would end by that element. Accordingly, we're in the era of Fire, and this age will end by fire. That could be something to play around with.

As for transformation...if I found out that I would inevitably transform into something inhuman, I'd be frightened and depressed at first. Even though most people aren't always entirely satisfied with their appearance, to change into something that's altogether inhuman is a terrifying proposition. Even if the new shape is more powerful and capable of magic, I think plenty of people would be filled with dread at becoming something alien. I'd expect to see a high increase in suicides. 

People who know whats coming will probably try and prepare themselves for it. I could imagine a lot of pop psychology and self-help books hitting the market. "Embracing the Change" or something like that.

Something very interesting to consider is the shift of power. What happens when Terrans outnumber the normal humans? I think up till that point there will be attempts at genocide, Terran rights groups, and the kind of racial tension prevalent in America during the Civil Rights movement, only on a much more massive scale.

I'd expect certain governemnts to crumble, but bigger, more stable ones, like the global superpowers would probably remain intact. I assume that most people would maintain the same interests, and ideals even if their physical aspect changes. I would expect to see a lot more cases of insanity. Some might be permanent, others temporary. Of course, this is also dependant on the totem guide. How influencial are they? Will they try and guide the newly-changed Terran in ways other than magic? Could they influence their social and philosophical mindset as well?

One thing that I'd recommend against is making Terrans "better" than normal people in all ways. If they're naturally wiser, more moral, and better natured than humans, as well as being magically gifted and more powerful, it might cause readers to roll their eyes and think "Mary Sue...on a global level..." (If you've ever read any of the Eragon novels, you can see how Paolini treats the Elfin race as an entire species of Mary Sue characters.) Not sure if that was a possibility but wanted to warn against it, just in case.

I hope this was helpful and the kind of input you're looking for.

Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

Offline Cooper

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • LJMcLean.net
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 05:44:46 PM »
This is exactly what I was looking for.  The totems are their guides, sort of their alter egos, family ancestors, and spirits created from their personal experiences.  They have control over their magic and teach things that don't require it, it tends to make people wake up and like "listen to themselves".  I had an idea of a criminal inmate who turns into a Terran 10 months after the event and listening to two foot tall tarantula with Old World jewelry saying, "i am so disappointed in you.  Your ancestors have turned three times in their grave for what you have done" and eventually cure his wickedness.

But you forgot one thing: what about all the other species and cultures of the galaxy?  I have an idea of a galactic government run by a collective council, but this sort of thing does not reach the media for the next two years (Summer of 2014).
http://www.ljmclean.net/

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 06:27:01 PM »
But you forgot one thing: what about all the other species and cultures of the galaxy?  I have an idea of a galactic government run by a collective council, but this sort of thing does not reach the media for the next two years (Summer of 2014).

I looked over the threads again, and didn't find much info, except the mention of an alien mercenary and the vampire aliens. Did you have something in mind, or were you just asking for general suggestions?

One thing I'd suggest: there tends to be a trend among sci-fi writers to identify a species with a few traits that seems to apply to the entire race at large. Using Star Trek as an example, Klingons are a warrior race; Vulcans are a logical race; Ferengi (sp?) are a back-stabbing, greedy race. There are plenty of other examples from different series besides Star Trek, but I  think it's fair to say that many writers generalize entire species like that, probably because it's easy, and often times the extra terrestrials are just cannon fodder for the heroic earthling heroes.

A few suggestions: Make your alien species diverse and intereseting, with heterogenous cultures. On earth, homo sapiens sapien became the dominant species, but consider a world where two or more species developed into sentience.

Just food for thought.  :)

Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

Offline thausgt

• Conversationalist
  • Hyperspace Arsenal: A wizard's best friend.
    • View Profile
    • Perrin's Oddments
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 09:36:59 PM »
I am asking for your opinion if you ever found yourself in this position, whether you are the first to transform after waking from an hour long coma, transform in two years, the last one to transform, or anywhere in between.  Your opinion on using magic is important because it also shapes the person you will have to be.  Please note that this is happening to everybody on the planet, including the secluded tribes of the third world and its a 4-year transformation. Be honest as possible and have fun!

My personal response would vacillate between "Cool! I get to upgrade into something better, stronger, faster!" and "But what if I'm 'Blessed With Suck'?!?"
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlessedWithSuck

If I'm reading the description correctly, no one knows what they'll look like at the end of the six hours, nor do they know what their Totem will look or act like. This will lead to all kinds of uncertainty and hurt feelings, especially for people whose desires have little or nothing to do with what they actually get for their new form, powers, Totem, etc.

Which, in turn, leads to incredible writing opportunities for you to take characters apart. Why did one particular character get a package that seems to be completely wrong for him/her? Why is one characer's transformation perfect except for one annoying aspect? What could drive a character to consider suicide in response to their transformation? Or better yet, what transformation could make a suicidal human change their mind?

Also, consider the nature of simple relationships as they change from human-human to Terran-Terran. Certain dinosaurs hunted and ate other dinosaurs; how would a married couple deal with the fact that one of them now has strong urges to literally consume the other? What happens to families with children born before and after the changes?

You've given yourself a very rich plot (pun intended). Dig deep and see what you uncover. Till it and see what grows.

Good luck, and please keep us posted!
From my heart and from my hand
Why don't people understand
My intentions?