Author Topic: specialized writer's question  (Read 1947 times)

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
specialized writer's question
« on: December 17, 2009, 04:55:47 PM »
Does anyone here happen to know the original retail price of a 1938 Indian Chief motorcycle or where I could find this info?  I've tried googling various combinations of words but can't seem to find the information I'm looking for.  Thanks in advance!
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
Re: specialized writer's question
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 05:26:27 PM »
Does anyone here happen to know the original retail price of a 1938 Indian Chief motorcycle or where I could find this info?  I've tried googling various combinations of words but can't seem to find the information I'm looking for.  Thanks in advance!
I've got internet issues at work, or I'd try searching myself, but one suggestion for google is to try MSRP, also you could try looking at nada.com.  There's a section on there for classic vehicles, though I don't remember if it gives the original MSRP or just today's value.  Nada is sorta similar to blue book; it's what I used to use when I worked at a bank.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 05:44:22 PM »
I checked NADA, they have current values for one but not original values.  So I called Indian.  They didn't know.  So I called the Indian Motorcycle Museum in Springfield and spoke with three people.  The concensus is that if anyone would know, Maggie Humberston would but she's on vacation until next week.  You can reach her at 1 800 625 7738, extension 311 when she gets back from vacation.  She's the one who might know if they have any old magazine advertisements for a 1938 Indian Chief, and that's probably your best bet for finding out what the street price was.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 06:06:16 PM »
I checked NADA, they have current values for one but not original values.  So I called Indian.  They didn't know.  So I called the Indian Motorcycle Museum in Springfield and spoke with three people.  The concensus is that if anyone would know, Maggie Humberston would but she's on vacation until next week.  You can reach her at 1 800 625 7738, extension 311 when she gets back from vacation.  She's the one who might know if they have any old magazine advertisements for a 1938 Indian Chief, and that's probably your best bet for finding out what the street price was.

WOW and WHOHOO!  Researcher of the year, or just tenacious to the point of insanity, goes to KALI!!!    You's rule!

http://www.msn.americangreetings.com/ecards/view.pd?i=433327281&m=3706&rr=y&source=msne999
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 06:29:17 PM »
That stuff's always fun. ;D  In case you're wondering, I said I was an independent researcher working for a novel writer.  I felt very important...
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 09:59:57 PM »
WOW and WHOHOO!  Researcher of the year, or just tenacious to the point of insanity, goes to KALI!!!    You's rule!

http://www.msn.americangreetings.com/ecards/view.pd?i=433327281&m=3706&rr=y&source=msne999

DITTO!!!
Thanks so much--I really appreciate it and will call next week or more probably after Christmas.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Kris_W

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 02:03:44 AM »
You could also try the motor vehicle registration office near you, see if their records go back that far. Some people in archival work get very excited about helping an author!

Also – if someone has to drag out old dusty records for you, be sure to get their name and have them spell it. Every one researcher mentioned in a book's dedication encourages hundreds of others to help look up the truly weird details we need.