Author Topic: Bit down...  (Read 1652 times)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Bit down...
« on: March 19, 2009, 03:22:01 PM »
read my publisher's marketplace deal tracker and the YA that i've been rushing to complete ASAP by 4.15.09 just had one of the agents that i admire post a trilogy sell (significant-$) very similar to mine.  :-(  Of course there are huge differences, but enough to be close cousins.   Jut how much will a particular agent take on that is close to the same sort, do you think?

There was little chance he'd sign the book anyway, but I guess I should be positive that someone is currently selling similar style.... 

"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Bit down...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 06:47:28 PM »
*HUGS*  Look on the sunny side.  You know your work is good! 
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline thausgt

• Conversationalist
  • Hyperspace Arsenal: A wizard's best friend.
    • View Profile
    • Perrin's Oddments
Re: Bit down...
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 02:28:06 AM »
From what I understand, most entertainment businesses (movies, t.v., and videogames as well as book publishing) are all about this kind of thing. We can deride it as "copycat" or "Me, too" but you might see it as a logical extension of 'genres'.

Think of it this way: If you're trying to publish a fantasy book, you don't send a query letter to an agent who specializes in mysteries, unless your fantasy book has a very strong mystery element to it. Similarly, if you happen to be writing a book with a "look and feel" that is similar to something already on the market, you might get a better reception if you query an agent who has already marketed something like that.

It's a delicate balance, definitely more art than science, but that's part of the *ahem* agony and ecstacy of being a professional artist: it's hard and ugly work that may come to nothing, but it might... just might... take you further than you ever dreamed.

I mean, a certain Ms. Rowling could certainly agree to that sentiment...

Good luck, regardless!
From my heart and from my hand
Why don't people understand
My intentions?