Linked Events

• TC signing in Lexington, KY: April 14, 2009

Author Topic: April 14: TC signing in Lexington, KY  (Read 24705 times)

Offline BookLover♥

• Posty McPostington
  • Pass-Set-Crush!
    • View Profile
Re: April 14: TC signing in Lexington, KY
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2009, 02:43:54 AM »
Ok, so I'm new to the whole book signing... I'll have already gotten my copy of Turn Coat when it's released, so do I still need to get an event ticket?  Can you explain more about that?

Offline BrianSFG

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2009, 03:23:49 PM »
Sure, events tickets are used for a number of purposes for bigger authors.  1) We only get more authors if we have good signings.  The evaluation is based on a number of things: media, attendance, but most of all front list sales, i.e. the new book.  These are in-store sales, not from other places in town.  It's unfair, but that's one of the ways we get judged.  It helps that we are a reporting store to the New York Times and Bookscan to help get Turncoat on the bestseller's list for the next week.  One of the big reasons an author tours the first two weeks of a release is to get on the bestsellers list.  2) This also helps us take care of our regular customers first.  We like to bring in authors to make our store a great place to meet people and to hang out.  Most early line numbers are grabbed by our local customers.  3) This allows us to set up the lines in order of when people bought the book instead of how soon people arrive. This helps people coming in from work or other situations where they can not wait around for a long time.  ie kids, husband, wives, and other people who might not understand why you should leave work early to go see some author that they have never heard of.

But for your question.  Everyone can still get their book signed.  Without an event ticket you can wait until the last person with an event ticket. We are happy to let people who purchased the book elsewhere to get their book signed, and meet a great author.  We just want to take care of our customers first.  I understand if you can't wait and are going to get the book early.  I would say that we can still take orders over the phone, and each event ticket can get three items signed, and I know for a fact signed Jim Butcher books make a great gift.

Brian

Offline BookLover♥

• Posty McPostington
  • Pass-Set-Crush!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2009, 03:39:23 PM »
Thanks for the info, Brian!  I think that all makes sense.  So if I'm not going to purchase an additional copy of the book, I don't need/get an event ticket, I just line up in the 'miscellaneous other people' line, correct?  I assume that line is on a first-come basis?

Offline BrianSFG

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2009, 05:31:58 PM »
Correct.  Of course, that line does not start building until toward the end of the signing.  Look forward to seeing you there.

Brian

Offline Victoria/David

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2009, 06:34:29 PM »
Well, Since no one has made any official plans on here. Might I suggest we all meet for a late lunch at TGI Fridays.. say around 3;30 or 4-ish..on Tuesday. I did go ahead and order my book at Jobeth, it was over 27.00  !which is outrageous!. I always get my books at Borders for 40% off, but it does guarantee you a place first in line. So I guess it is ok. If you go to TGI Fridays website, there is a place to sign up for coupons, buy 1 app. get one free kinda deals. Yes I am on a budget for this trip!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
VictoriaLynn

Offline LDSman

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2009, 02:53:51 PM »
How many people are going to come in costume?
If I let everyone I thought was an idiot die, there wouldn't be many people left.

No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise.

None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me.

Offline jogonturan

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2009, 10:36:28 PM »
I'm hoping to get the entire day off so I don't have to rush like crazy from work - but we've been short on first shift and the Captain's office hasn't been approving many comp time requests.   I'll have to see if puppy dog eyes and quivering lips might work there.   ;D

If I can't get the day off, I'll probably hop in the car and drive like a maniac.   Or maybe not like a maniac.  I get off work at 4:15 and Lexington isn't more than 90 minutes away, IIRC.

Jo.

If you can't be a good example, you'll have to serve as a horrible warning.

Offline Fin Aeros

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2009, 04:23:34 AM »
I get off of work at 4 and will try to hustle and bustle my butt down there for sure.  My family lives about 30 minutes out from Lex, so I'll kill two birds with one stone.

Offline BookLover♥

• Posty McPostington
  • Pass-Set-Crush!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2009, 12:55:53 PM »
We're leaving from work as well.

We won't be coming in costume, but we will have homemade shirts - "The Order of the Large Cooking Pot"

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2009, 01:24:35 PM »
Barring any unexpected changes in plan, I'm hoping to take a little mini-vacation and come out for this.  (It couldn't have happened a year ago, when I still lived there).
No costume here, either, but I have my homemade Red Court t-shirt.  :)

(Hopefully this won't be like my last trip to KY, when I blew a tire halfway back).
"I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once.  But by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbors dog." -Dwight Schrute

"And remember, if you are bitten by a bat, you will convulse and turn into one; it is a scientific fact." -MST3K

Offline Caelana

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2009, 07:38:43 PM »
Victoria/David, that sounds good.  Depending on work schedules and stuff, we should be there.  :)  i will let you know more details closer to the event

Offline LDSman

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2009, 04:32:21 PM »
So, is there a meet set up for the 14th?
If I let everyone I thought was an idiot die, there wouldn't be many people left.

No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise.

None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me.

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2009, 09:29:57 PM »
I'd be willing to meet up somewhere as well, if there's anything planned.
"I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once.  But by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbors dog." -Dwight Schrute

"And remember, if you are bitten by a bat, you will convulse and turn into one; it is a scientific fact." -MST3K

Offline Victoria/David

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2009, 08:59:51 AM »
Someone pick a place.. I suggested TGI Friday's.. around 2:30 -3-ish.. That way there is plenty of time to eat and get to the signing and get a seat ;D.. My husband and I will there...although we are not costume kinda people..lol ;)
VictoriaLynn

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2009, 10:05:58 PM »
I'm pretty much fine with anywhere.  If I'm picturing the right place TGI Friday's is pretty much right down the way from Joseph Beth.  (There's a whole lot of restaurants right around that area).