Author Topic: &%#ing Death Curses.  (Read 7242 times)

Offline SandwormPhish

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: &%#ing Death Curses.
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 03:54:10 PM »
Also, remember Kincaid's conversation with Dresden.  It would seem a Wizard can't level a death curse if they don't have a target to direct it at, or if they're killed instantly with no time to manipulate the energy.  This comes back to the big thing about wizards.. they're like batman in a way.  Crazy dangerous if they have prep time, but catch them with their pants down and they die like anyone else.

Offline thausgt

• Conversationalist
  • Hyperspace Arsenal: A wizard's best friend.
    • View Profile
    • Perrin's Oddments
Re: &%#ing Death Curses.
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 11:40:24 PM »
That's one of things I was thinking about: fates worth than death.

Ah, but don't forget to tack in the dying character's perception of what that might be. Cassius, the ex-Denarian from "Dead Beat" offered an insight into that with his.

"The mind is a thing unique unto itself, and can make of Heaven a Hell, or a Hell of Heaven." -Milton, Paradise Lost

To put it another way, ask if the curse is hitting the target with "Blessed With Suck" or "Cursed With Awesome". (Look 'em up http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage here) Not that the dying character should necessarily realize the difference, since that's part of the fun...

Example:An cursed NPC called "The Monk"

Back in 1592, a mad cleric kills a wizard for possessing knowledge of the "Dark Arts"   The wizard's death curse is that the cleric will not be able to die until he learns all the knowledge of mankind.

My questions are as follows:

1. Would a death curse keep him alive until he learns everything?   The Monk trips down a flight of stairs and breaks his neck.   Does the curse reanimate him?   Plus, is his neck still broken or is it healed?

If I were GM-ing a game in which this character appeared as an NPC, I'd probably use some form of uncontrollable probability-manipulation to keep all injuries in the realm of "ordinary human could survive this" while also costing the character something: he could still fall, but A) he lands on a trusted servant at the bottom of the stairs and kills him or her; B) witnesses to his fall could be sufficiently disturbed by the sight that his reputation is besmirched; C) he ruins a priceless artifact that he requires for academic purposes (an ancient orrery, for example). That way, he would still physically survive almost anything, but would still avoid taking ridiculous risks.

2. Knowledge is constantly expanding - What determines how this or other curses are fufilled?   Would the Monk still be alive in 2009? ( I understand he would be by GM fiat, but am curious how it would be explained in game terms.)

IMHO, this would be a sufficiently specialized case that GMs in different games would have to make their own house rules. If nothing else, the death curse is still a spell, which the character has to be able to cast. I'm not exactly up on all the nuances of the Fate system, so I'll bow to superior knowledge and/or experience in that context. I can say that, from a storytelling viewpoint, inflicting cursed immortality on another character shouldn't happen often. Unless the cursed immortality really drives home the point that the victim's life is going to suck, especially doing so immediately, quite a few characters might just revel in the fact that they will clean up on high-yield long-term investments...

I'd probably wind up modifying the death curse into "your immortal spirit shall..." or somesuch.
From my heart and from my hand
Why don't people understand
My intentions?