Author Topic: Jim's stand on fic?  (Read 25055 times)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: Jim's stand on fic?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 08:16:54 PM »
Heh! Just from his interviews that I've heard (audio and one or two video interviews), he seems like as great a storyteller in person as he is a writer, so if I ever get lucky to meet him, I'll be sure to ask. I have a feeling it's as good a story as the one about Terry Prachett playfully yelping and diving under a table when someone told him she was a fanfic writer.

Dude likes to talk. Fortunately, he's good at it and REALLY enjoys it - and it shows.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 12:00:07 AM »
At MileHi he read about an hour worth from the beginning of Turn Coat off his laptop.   Worth the entire trip just for that part!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Tribblechomper

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Photoshoplifter Dan
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 01:57:33 AM »
Things like "Harry's long lost twin sister who's never mentioned in the books and OMG SHEEZ JSUT AZ POWAHFULL @ MAGICK!!!11", or fics with Justin DuMorne/Morningway molesting Harry as a kid, or Michael being warped into a rabid fanatic who eats babies, or Thomas getting deboched into a weepy emo cutter because aren't all vampires that way? Trust me, I used to hang out on the Godawful Fanfiction Forum and I've seen some pretty sick stuff that the fankiddies cook up...

Where can I find this?  I need to indulge my inner masochist...things like the heretofore unknown twin sister who comes in from nowhere and kicks Harry's a*s at magic (known in the biz as a Mary Sue story), and who bears a suspicious resemblance to the fanfic author...stuff like what you describe;  it's like the argument that says we cannot truly ban/erase all Evil, as then we would have no measuring stick by which to establish how wonderful Good is.

Really bad fanfic makes the most formulaic, same-plotline-every-book author look like Stephen King.
November 15, 2008-A day that will live in infamy...let's hope I'm not in the hospital THIS birthday!!!
Ah done an' went an' gots me a WEBSITE, y'all!!!
www.photoshoplifterdan.com

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 02:06:57 PM »
Where can I find this?  I need to indulge my inner masochist...things like the heretofore unknown twin sister who comes in from nowhere and kicks Harry's a*s at magic (known in the biz as a Mary Sue story), and who bears a suspicious resemblance to the fanfic author...stuff like what you describe;  it's like the argument that says we cannot truly ban/erase all Evil, as then we would have no measuring stick by which to establish how wonderful Good is.

Really bad fanfic makes the most formulaic, same-plotline-every-book author look like Stephen King.

I believe the URL is http://www.asdvasdasdnklasdnklasdjklasdasdfjklasdfjklasdfasdfasdfjklasdvklavkjfv
kavnsdkanasdfjkvnas;vnaskdjvnaskjdvnask;jdvna;skjdvnas;kjvnasl;kjdvnaskjdvnsl;jthisisahint.net. Be warned, though, the things that get linked to the forum can be brain-breakingly horrible...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 08:28:23 PM by Morraeon »

Offline Guardian 452

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 02:16:28 PM »
At MileHi he read about an hour worth from the beginning of Turn Coat off his laptop.   Worth the entire trip just for that part!

Jim was supposed to do a reading in Toronto, but asked us if we'd prefer a Q & A session instead.  He said that he felt a little wierd reading his own work!

He also said that if he starts to read, he'll wind up doing voices and (according to him) it gets a little creepy.

So, any voices?  I have to know as his saying that got a lot of us really curious!

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2009, 03:30:34 PM »
Oh god, you have GOT to hear Jim doing Bob's voice. Worth the price of admission right there.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline JRBobC

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2009, 06:15:03 PM »
Oh god, you have GOT to hear Jim doing Bob's voice. Worth the price of admission right there.

I might just be mentally damaged, but whenever I read Bob, in my head, his voice is perky with a dash of snark.  But mostly perky.

NecroBob just sounded like your garden varied whackajob, with a bit of sinister thrown in for good measure.
Patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue, PATIENCE IS A F***ING VIRTUE.  There, now I might be able to follow it.

Regarding Cover art: "You have no control. If you’re really lucky you get an art director who will let you use Vaseline when he bends you over." -Glen Cook

Offline Uilos

• Posty McPostington
  • The Snark Side of the Force
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 06:19:36 PM »
I might just be mentally damaged, but whenever I read Bob, in my head, his voice is perky with a dash of snark.  But mostly perky.

Watch any interview with Jim. And the answers will show themselves, my son
Quote from: Shecky
It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning. It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline Infamous as Elle!

• Posty McPostington
  • Pwn Teh Sparkles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2009, 04:28:47 AM »
Or worse....Slash!

I just can't see Harry and Bob making out or Thomas revealing that deep down he really wanted to be in Harry's yellow ducky boxers.
[Insert Exceeding Clever And Snappy Quote Here.]

Awesomesauce is the new ketchup!  It goes with everything good!

Offline DragonFire

• Posty McPostington
  • Knuckleduster of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2009, 04:36:20 AM »
Or worse....Slash!

I just can't see Harry and Bob making out or Thomas revealing that deep down he really wanted to be in Harry's yellow ducky boxers.
Anyone that writes Dresden Slash will end up on my death list!!!
God is dead - Nietzsche
Nietzsche is dead -God

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 14

• Posty McPostington
  • Pwn Teh Sparkles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2009, 04:38:58 AM »
I'm sure it's out there but I sure as hell am NOT hunting for it!

*squicks and twitches*

Nooooo Butt secks necessary!

Offline DragonFire

• Posty McPostington
  • Knuckleduster of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2009, 04:40:06 AM »
I'm sure it's out there but I sure as hell am NOT hunting for it!

*squicks and twitches*

Nooooo Butt secks necessary!
IT's not the sex...I just hate it when people twist the characters for those sorts of stories.

The only thing worse is when the really, cool, strong, and awesome guy/girl shows up to save the day, and they have the same name as the author.....
God is dead - Nietzsche
Nietzsche is dead -God

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 14

Offline Uilos

• Posty McPostington
  • The Snark Side of the Force
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2009, 05:47:47 AM »
I think I remember Priscellie mentioning something about...*shudder* Harry/Marcone slash.

But of course, this is all hypothetical, you know, like fight club
Quote from: Shecky
It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning. It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline Tribblechomper

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Photoshoplifter Dan
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2009, 02:40:07 PM »
IT's not the sex...I just hate it when people twist the characters for those sorts of stories.

The only thing worse is when the really, cool, strong, and awesome guy/girl shows up to save the day, and they have the same name as the author.....

In the publishing trade, those are called "Mary Sue" stories, and sometimes, they not only have the same name as the author, but also a highly stylized redrafted description of themselves; for instance...Dan Lister, short, bald, semi-portly Butcher-board smartypants, writes a story about Batman and Robin being saved by a non-canon character who's 6'4", broad-shouldered, hyper-athletic and smarter than Einstein and MacGyver combined...who just happens to be named Dan Lister, nicknamed "Tribblechomper".  After saving the world, Tribblechomper gets a free access pass to the Batcave from Batman, who reveals his secret identity to Tribblechomper, who is clearly smarter, stronger, wiser than Batman.

Now, take that little story premise, put it between two slices of bread, add some mayo and mustard...and you have a fine example of a baloney sandwich.
November 15, 2008-A day that will live in infamy...let's hope I'm not in the hospital THIS birthday!!!
Ah done an' went an' gots me a WEBSITE, y'all!!!
www.photoshoplifterdan.com

• Posty McPostington
  • Pwn Teh Sparkles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2009, 02:55:41 PM »
No, it's not that I mind sex either of any type....hell, I read Yaoi but seriously, if the characters are written a certain way, don't screw with it....ahem (pun may or not may not be intended).

I can't even read drawn Harry Potter or Full Metal Alchemist slash.....or the drawn comic stuff.  It's just not natural man!

As for Mary Sue...most of it really sucks and should be kept to oneself, to read over and over again.  Not to make our eyes bleed.