Author Topic: Jim's stand on fic?  (Read 25047 times)

Automagic

Jim's stand on fic?
« on: January 03, 2009, 12:17:24 AM »
Hullo!

First time poster, longtime reader (of the books). I haven't found this anywhere, but I was wondering what Jim's stance on fanfic was. Specifically, fanfic in general and fanfic about his own properties.

I'm not a fanfic writer myself, but know some authors (coughRicecough) have a take-no-prisoners view of it while others (she of the vs. Vander Ark) believe the more the merrier.

I didn't know which forum this would go in, so if it's wrong I apologize.

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Jim's stand on fic?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 12:30:54 AM »
Jim himself appears to be the kind of guy who doesn't mind fanfic... However, his contract puts the kibosh on fanfic based on his stuff (yeah, I personally think he needs a new contract and new lawyers).

Offline Tribblechomper

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Photoshoplifter Dan
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 02:03:04 AM »
Jim himself appears to be the kind of guy who doesn't mind fanfic... However, his contract puts the kibosh on fanfic based on his stuff (yeah, I personally think he needs a new contract and new lawyers).

So essentially...Jim's stance is "Don't ask, don't tell"?

If he doesn't know about it, he doesn't have to tell anybody?

Likewise, no matter how much he likes it, he can't give it his seal of approval?
November 15, 2008-A day that will live in infamy...let's hope I'm not in the hospital THIS birthday!!!
Ah done an' went an' gots me a WEBSITE, y'all!!!
www.photoshoplifterdan.com

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 02:20:05 AM »
So essentially...Jim's stance is "Don't ask, don't tell"?

If he doesn't know about it, he doesn't have to tell anybody?

Likewise, no matter how much he likes it, he can't give it his seal of approval?

Basically, yeah. I really don't want to say more, in case said lawyers get suspicious... :: Glares in their general direction, wonders if they sold their inner children on eBay::

Offline Tribblechomper

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Photoshoplifter Dan
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 02:36:10 AM »
Basically, yeah. I really don't want to say more, in case said lawyers get suspicious... :: Glares in their general direction, wonders if they sold their inner children on eBay::

Not their inner children as much as the souls of their firstborns...their heart and soul, they sold to Lea
November 15, 2008-A day that will live in infamy...let's hope I'm not in the hospital THIS birthday!!!
Ah done an' went an' gots me a WEBSITE, y'all!!!
www.photoshoplifterdan.com

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 05:42:45 PM »
Hey Hey ease up on the Lawyer bashing  :D   I come from a family of them you know (and am endeavoring to be one myself).   

In the future, please use the qualifier of Corporate Lawyer.  Those guys really DO sell their souls (think Wolfram and Hart from Angel)
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight

Offline Uilos

• Posty McPostington
  • The Snark Side of the Force
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 05:49:53 PM »
Hullo!

First time poster, longtime reader (of the books). I haven't found this anywhere, but I was wondering what Jim's stance on fanfic was. Specifically, fanfic in general and fanfic about his own properties.

I'm not a fanfic writer myself, but know some authors (coughRicecough) have a take-no-prisoners view of it while others (she of the vs. Vander Ark) believe the more the merrier.

I didn't know which forum this would go in, so if it's wrong I apologize.

The ultimate answer is, Jim can't know about it. There are sites for it (
(click to show/hide)
being one of them), but other than that. Jim don't as, we don't tell
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 10:42:20 PM by Mickey Finn »
Quote from: Shecky
It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning. It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 06:11:01 PM »
Hey Hey ease up on the Lawyer bashing  :D   I come from a family of them you know (and am endeavoring to be one myself).   

In the future, please use the qualifier of Corporate Lawyer.  Those guys really DO sell their souls (think Wolfram and Hart from Angel)

"Yeah, we only sell our souls in sustainable lots!"

*ducks*
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 08:55:07 PM »
 :D

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 09:33:40 PM »

Heh, I just like to rattle their cages about it. In a way, it's not such a bad idea that there's a "don't ask, dont' tell" policy on fics, since it cuts down on the number of badfics that the fandom could get cluttered with Things like "Harry's long lost twin sister who's never mentioned in the books and OMG SHEEZ JSUT AZ POWAHFULL @ MAGICK!!!11", or fics with Justin DuMorne/Morningway molesting Harry as a kid, or Michael being warped into a rabid fanatic who eats babies, or Thomas getting deboched into a weepy emo cutter because aren't all vampires that way? Trust me, I used to hang out on the Godawful Fanfiction Forum and I've seen some pretty sick stuff that the fankiddies cook up...

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 09:43:15 PM »
Heh, I just like to rattle their cages about it. In a way, it's not such a bad idea that there's a "don't ask, dont' tell" policy on fics, since it cuts down on the number of badfics that the fandom could get cluttered with Things like "Harry's long lost twin sister who's never mentioned in the books and OMG SHEEZ JSUT AZ POWAHFULL @ MAGICK!!!11", or fics with Justin DuMorne/Morningway molesting Harry as a kid, or Michael being warped into a rabid fanatic who eats babies, or Thomas getting deboched into a weepy emo cutter because aren't all vampires that way? Trust me, I used to hang out on the Godawful Fanfiction Forum and I've seen some pretty sick stuff that the fankiddies cook up...

the part about thomas being a debauched weepy emo cutter is my favorite part of this rant/statement  ;D

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 10:43:56 PM »
"Likewise, no matter how much he likes it, he can't give it his seal of approval?"

He can't even KNOW about it to give an opinion. It's not a contractual thing, it's the copyright system. If he knows, he HAS to put a stop to it, or he weakens his copyright.
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 01:57:39 AM »
I would take that to mean if you would like jim to stop by now and then---as Helen would say, "STFU!"   ;D
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Guardian 452

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 06:30:34 PM »
I posted this already, but the database issue caused it to get lost.  The first part is sort-of reduntant now, but I'll include it.

There used to be a set of rules here on the forum that said, in a nutshell, on the subject of fanfics, don't.  We don't want Jim to have to get the lawyers out, and he would have to.

That's the first part.  Having said that, if you ever get the chance to meet Jim, ask him about fanfics.  This'll work particularly well if he's in front of a crowd.  He'll tell you the official story, but trust me, the way he does it in person is funny enough to be worth the effort!

It was in Toronto, anyway, and I doubt it would be different anyplace else...

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 07:18:44 PM »
That's the first part.  Having said that, if you ever get the chance to meet Jim, ask him about fanfics.  This'll work particularly well if he's in front of a crowd.  He'll tell you the official story, but trust me, the way he does it in person is funny enough to be worth the effort!

It was in Toronto, anyway, and I doubt it would be different anyplace else...

Heh! Just from his interviews that I've heard (audio and one or two video interviews), he seems like as great a storyteller in person as he is a writer, so if I ever get lucky to meet him, I'll be sure to ask. I have a feeling it's as good a story as the one about Terry Prachett playfully yelping and diving under a table when someone told him she was a fanfic writer.