Author Topic: Podiobooks: A New Market?  (Read 1736 times)

Offline Cooper

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • LJMcLean.net
Podiobooks: A New Market?
« on: December 17, 2008, 07:19:37 AM »
I recently uncovered a group of podcasts on iTunes calling themselves "free audiobooks" or Podiobooks as they are nicknamed.  Do you think this is a new market to explore for freelance, amateur, pro, or hobby writers without the hassles of production or is this a bad place to get a story or book out in audio form?

I just downloaded Interview for a Wizard by J.A. Areces and Nocturnal by Scott Sigler (i think Nocturnal is out in print as well).  Give your thought on this and predict where this new form will take authors.
What would you do if you had six hours of humanity left?
http://www.ljmclean.net/

Offline saskatoonistan

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Sean Cummings
Re: Podiobooks: A New Market?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 12:33:50 PM »
Beats the heck out of me. I know that e-books, for example, have done well in North America, but they're a drop in the bucket compared to good ol' print publications. That said, there may be a demographic angle to all of this - at 41 years of age, I like to consider myself fairly techie, but those who are under twenty five - well, if publishing can tap into their interests and values, that might be a happy little accident. (Did you know that in Japan, 50% of all books sold are electronic and specific to hand-held devices?)

Offline Lisa™

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 08:39:51 AM »
Saskatoonistan raises a good point - I think the success of any medium/format for selling books can be arbitrary (I hope that's the right word, it's not even 9am here yet).  Though I think the Podiobook idea could turn out to be a good one, if it catches on.

My worry, though, is about copyright protection for the works of amateur, or "hobby" writers (I fit pretty neatly into the hobby writer category, personally).  Just because you're not up for getting your work published "professionally" doesn't mean you shouldn't have the right to call a story your own...  Just my twopence.

Edited to get the name right...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 11:02:14 AM by Lisa™ »
Quote from: CrazyGerbilLady
Full Assed FTW!

Quote from: Snowleopard
I have a friend who'd say: "That sounds vaguely obscene and if there's anything I can't stand it's vagueness!"

Offline saskatoonistan

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Sean Cummings
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 10:51:13 AM »
Me, I like a good paperback novel - I suspect most people still prefer them. That said, when I talk to my 18 year-old son, he thinks anything that can be downloaded onto his Blackberry is "sweet", so there's the demographic shift in my own house. What strikes me as interesting is while electronic publishing in North America is a drop in the bucket in terms of overall sales (versus print), 2008 was a banner year for sales nonetheless. Will it become mainstream? Beats me - I know that e-books by and large aren't considered to be a legitimate publishing credit and there is a stigma associated with it. Still, when one looks at the fantastic success of e-book publishers like Samhain,  or Drollerie Press, there's a case to be made that a strong market exists for well written content. My own publisher, Lyrical Press, is a year old and does a fantastic job of getting it's name out there - is it a legitimate publishing credit? Well perhaps not yet, but someone out there is buying the product and I suspect it won't be long before the major traditional publishing houses give e-books a second look.

Offline Lisa™

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 11:01:06 AM »
I agree with that.  As someone who grew up reading paperbacks, I have much love for that medium.  I dunno, it just doesn't feel quite right unless I'm holding a book in my hands...

On the other hand, as a marketing ploy to get more books out there and brought to the attention of the more electronically-inclined masses of today, it seems like a good way to go to.  As for the "legitimate publishing credit" concern, again I agree.  Time will tell...
Quote from: CrazyGerbilLady
Full Assed FTW!

Quote from: Snowleopard
I have a friend who'd say: "That sounds vaguely obscene and if there's anything I can't stand it's vagueness!"